Cross-Breeding Plecos

newaqua

Hey everyone.

Just wanting to know if anyone knows the ins and outs of cross-breeding plecos. The reason I ask is I may have a couple of gold nuggets lined up, however I don't want it to cross-breed with my Bristlenose which are already breeding.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? I am guessing if someone has had a breeding pair of Bristlenose and a breeding paid of gold nuggets in the same tank they might be able to shed some light on the topic.

Also, any ideas about fighting with each other, like between breeds? There is a lot of space/wood/plants within the tank.

Cheers.

Hi,

You can't cross breed a gold nugget with a bristlenose.

There has only been 2 people who have recorded breeding gold nuggets in captivity so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

If you had a tank with different hypancistrus species in it then that would be a different story.

Cheers.

Awesome, :hail:

You found 1 actual recorded report, people mentioning that there was a breeding and saying they will find the links and not finding them, and some generic "how to" stuff where you could replace the pleco name with any old pleco name.

The point is (as it relates to the original question) the Gold Nugget is rather difficult to spawn, and won't cross with a bristle nose.

We are all entitled to our opinions, some people are just better informed than others.

Cheers

Geoff

Great to see someone showing concern about unintended hybridisation, but as Geoff said it won't happen with a bristlenose and gold nugget. Some plecs of the same genus (like Hypancistrus) will interbreed fairly easily, but inter-generic hybrids are rare if not unheard of in the pleco world. Its kinda like worrying about your oscar breeding with a severum, or your cat and a small dog getting it on...

That's all good to know thanks guys. Will I have any issues with them being aggressive towards each other?

Not in the near future.

I have a small 9cm? Gold nugget in with a L260 and some bristlenose.

There is no aggression. (but lots of spots to hide in)

The gold nugget likes it a bit warmer 26-30C

The gold nuggets will get to 30-35cm, and at that size they can be a handful, but you have a few years before they get that size :)