Quiet Water Pump

dapdap

I recently bought an AquaC Remora Pro skimmer. It came with an Aqua One 105 Maxi Power Head. It wasn't a quiet pump to start with, but we had a brief power out last night and now it sounds like a small helicopter.

Anyone got a clue how to quieten it down again?

Anyone recommend a quiet power head/ water pump (2200 l/hr)?

Maxi Jet 1200 & Mag Drive 3 are the pumps recommended with the Remora Pro, and are meant to be pretty quiet, but I haven't been able to source either here in New Zealand

Cheers

Sometimes they quieten off after a couple of weeks. The Remora Pro (I have one too) put a lot of head pressure on the pump, which can increase noise.

I run my one with a pump from Jansens called an extrema. 550 gph and 10 foot head pressure.

They created quite a stir on Reef Central when they first came out, people ranting on how awesome they are.

But for me, I'm not totally impressed, however in fairness I'm not using the standard issue pump, mine is slightly higher GPH than recommended, I could not get the exact pump locally.

It's not that it doesn't skim, it does. But it pumps a huge amount of air with an inconsistent bubble size, and can be very sensitive, and if I add a bit more pollution than normal the skimmer can go nuts and literally skim out gallons of water overnight. Lucky I got the model with the autodrain. I've also had to put an on/off float switch in the draining container, to make sure if the skimmer goes crazy it will turn off before it takes the tank to lower levels than I want.

Now they are being brought in by a shop, presumeably there will also be the correct pump available, so others may have different opinion to me and may have comments on this also.