Empty 10 Gallon??

Chris H

i have an empty 10 gallon tank and have two filter running from it was wondering what i should put in dont want any normal every day fish like guppies tetras ect. want something small but interesting to watch and and possibly a couple of. any ideas would be much appreciated.

a nz mudflat tank works well if you use a 5cm deep live sand bed for denitrifying and HEAPs of water changes.

sand gobies are best as they handle just about anything and they are real characters, had mine following me around the tank as i was cleaning, and this was after feeding so it seemed more out of interest than hunger

lifespan... dunno

read that they will get somewhere around 6-8cm depending on species (don't bother trying, every photo has about 3 different species linked to it)

feeds happily on shrimp pellets, discus pellets and chopped mussels/clams

also supply fresh kelp every now and then, havent seen the gobies eat it but they might have

have 2 are in a 21L tank atm around 4 months so far, highly adaptable to water quality (they have to be in mud pools at low tide) so ok if you want to learn a bit as you go, however the live sand bed has kept my water quality reasonably good as well as lots of water changes (I just use fresh seawater from where i collected them from (avoiding times after rain due to fresh water))

make sure you collect them from ONE puddle only as when I collected a third from a different puddle (less than 1m away) the other 2 ganged up on it and i had to release it soon after.

p.s. if you use a marine blue light on your tank you will see the electric blue stripe down their sides really well