Plastic Tower Sump" vs Glass tank Sump"

Jaxxnz

I been busy with design my Plastic Tower sump( well only take 15min) :D

For my breeding tank set up i build a plastic sump tower, made out of Drawer Tower) drilled a fews hole in the drawer and way you go.. :nilly: Advance; lite wieght, friction filter,lid able,unbreakable, relocateable, and the best of all i can grab out the drawer full of ceramic disc with out any pain... :happy2:

ohhh :cofn: I still trying to figure out what i can do when the extra heater is turn on in the plastic sump.. :slfg:

Last night i discnnect my old glass sump in my 1400l and build anther plastic tower sump..so far i got 3x stackable tray,the best thing

about it, is that can upgrade for more filterating trays if i want to and without disturbing the storage sump.

So who got a plastic sump? and to people with glass sump "what do you reckon"? :wave:

anything will work, so long as it can hold water and media.

huge massive set ups i have seen on mfk sometimes have very 'non pretty' set ups behind the scenes, literally drums filled with media.

if it does the same thing, why not? 8)

a local guy tried to save a buck here but making one of those instead of using a cannister filter. turned out he should have just brought a filter by the time he brought all the equipment he needed and media to boot, it cost well in excess of a suitable cannister, something to think about :dunno:

a local guy tried to save a buck here but making one of those instead of using a cannister filter. turned out he should have just brought a filter by the time he brought all the equipment he needed and media to boot, it cost well in excess of a suitable cannister, something to think about :dunno:

It really depend on how heavy we stock our tank i think.

As to cannister filter they are small, even pond filter..($350 now sitting no used) are too small to handle large stock..

I used 10kg of ceramic noddle+a fews box of bio balls, it would be great if there is a limit to filteration vs tank size..but as we all know fish tank are never be over fiilter right.. :spop:

Next time you drop by an Animates store, try to see if they've left the back door of their fish department open lol.

I've sneaked a peek before (without trespassing inside the restricted area) and it seems like they just have piping from multiple tanks into massive bins of filter wool which are then pumped through some other tubs of media and back into the tanks.

Looks relatively inexpensive to set up and it would be the easiest way to filter massive amounts of water with minimal maintenance.

yeah, filtration doesnt have to be pretty tow ork, just efficient, flower diverted the right direction etc.

as for canisters, an fx5 with 2 centre compartment full of high quality bio media has an extremely high capacity.

cant just take into account weight of bio media, you gotta look at the quality of them too

just remember, if you are running multiple tanks off one filtration unit, if there is an infection/outbreak of algae etc, it will be shared across all your tanks.

I can reccomend being able to segregate tanks completely by use of ball valves (or similair) and redundant systems in case of such a thing, if you use this sort of system... :thup:

just remember, if you are running multiple tanks off one filtration unit, if there is an infection/outbreak of algae etc, it will be shared across all your tanks.

I can reccomend being able to segregate tanks completely by use of ball valves (or similair) and redundant systems in case of such a thing, if you use this sort of system... :thup:

like this setup i doing, all hook up into one filteration

265.jpg

280.jpg

Plan" instead of expensive fitting like ball valves, i used 25mm end cap to stop inlet water from sump..

I also play around with water pressure br drilling small hole in it.. :nilly:

Next time you drop by an Animates store, try to see if they've left the back door of their fish department open lol.

I've sneaked a peek before (without trespassing inside the restricted area) and it seems like they just have piping from multiple tanks into massive bins of filter wool which are then pumped through some other tubs of media and back into the tanks.

Looks relatively inexpensive to set up and it would be the easiest way to filter massive amounts of water with minimal maintenance.

pretty much all it is, has a few bio balls as well, each block of tanks is connected to a seperate UV steriliser as well as taps to block off any infected tanks (by the time you know its infected its probably already spread imo) adn the quarantined tank is given either a hang on filter or a canister filter (normally not aged =P)

anyway, thats how it works in the animates setup I saw.

used to make good filters by using a bucket filled with gravel with an inlet in the top and a few holes in the bottom

pretty much all it is, has a few bio balls as well, each block of tanks is connected to a seperate UV steriliser as well as taps to block off any infected tanks (by the time you know its infected its probably already spread imo)

yup, exactly what I'm talking about, and I agree, by the time you see symptoms, it probably too late, but! the sooner you can "cut-off" the infection, the less chance it has to spread...