Heater and Filter advice

Godly3vil

Hey guys, I'm in the process of planning a 450ltr planted tank and was wondering if this heater here would be suitable for it? Would I have to use this in a sump or would it be ok to just attach the heater in the tank? I don't plan on using a sump system yet so hopefully this will do?

http://www.fish-street.com/product_deta ... y_code=NZD

Also I am planning on using an Eheim 2229 wet/dry filter will this be ok for a freshwater planted tank? I think the filter has intergrated heating but am not 100% sure and I'm not too keen to rely on just this for the heating.

Personally I wouldn't run a sump with a planted tank as if were wanting to run CO2 at any stage it would make it less effective.

I'm not familar with the Eheim 2229, so cannot comment on its heating ability. However, what I can tell you is from my experiance, external heaters (the ones you plug into the in/out pipes on canister filters are far more effective than just simply just having a heater in the tank as they heat the water as its being circulated around the tank.

Ive had my Hydor 300w external heater on a 500L tank running at 30c without any issues.

The heated canister filter therefore, might be worth a crack...

Your other options could be to get a normal canister, and buy a hydor heater, would most probably workout cheaper, and if one of the items failed you wouldn't have the issue of having the issue of tearing down the filter to get to the heater.

Shouldn't a heavily planted tank provide enough biological filtration by itself so as to not need the Eheim?

I'm not sure, but would rather have too much bio filtration then not enough. Also I will most prabably run the filter setup as bio/mech anyway.

Personally I wouldn't run a sump with a planted tank as if were wanting to run CO2 at any stage it would make it less effective.

I'm not familar with the Eheim 2229, so cannot comment on its heating ability. However, what I can tell you is from my experiance, external heaters (the ones you plug into the in/out pipes on canister filters are far more effective than just simply just having a heater in the tank as they heat the water as its being circulated around the tank.

Ive had my Hydor 300w external heater on a 500L tank running at 30c without any issues.

The heated canister filter therefore, might be worth a crack...

Your other options could be to get a normal canister, and buy a hydor heater, would most probably workout cheaper, and if one of the items failed you wouldn't have the issue of having the issue of tearing down the filter to get to the heater.

I was actually looking at a few external heaters a few minutes ago, thats probably the way I will go, cheers.

I got a weipro from fish street and it stopped working after a few months :an!gry I don't see any problem with putting it in the tank apart from you have to look at it.

My sump works just fine on my planted tank. the co2 is hooked into the return pump and goes into the tank perfectly. I actually found I had to turn the co2 down because it was too much for my fish. even with a LOT of plants in my tank to release oxygen.

Definitely get the filter if you don't have the room or aren't ready to setup a sump. Sumps aren't Ideal for planted tank but they still work and are handy for a timeout tank or for acclimatising fish until their stress levels are low enough to add them to the tank.

I wanted to get the exact same eheim but I ended up using a sump for the first time and I will never go back to a canister for tanks over 300ltrs. I only like canisters for smaller tanks where a sump would be too big.

You can come around and have a look at my sump setup if you ever need ideas on anything.

Cheers mate I will probably take you up on that offer sometime. Also what type of heating are you using on your 800ltr tank now that your werpro stopped working?

I have 2x 300W and a 1x 250W Fluval heaters.

I never got around to buying a new heater. One day I will get around to it. but what I have now works fine.