breeding african

camtang

Before I start I wasnt sure if I shpout have this in this topic or the cichlid topic, so please correct me if im wrong.

Im thinking about breeding some of my africans, and im very aware of how they cross-breed, so im trying to think of ways around this. id like 101 species only breeding tanks, but i know I this isnt possible, for several reasons.So my mind got a working and i thought if i seperated my tanks into male and female tanks, then when i decided to breed a particular species of fish I can just add the male of the species. This way I will know any female holding will have been at it with the only male in the tank.Then in my theory anything from that species can be kept, anything from a diffrent one can be fish food, and eliminating cross-breeding in the process. Is this a viable option, or am I just looking at pipe dreams? and any other options too try and keep my future fish from being cross-breed?

Thanks

That is a good way to do it, another way to do it is to have 1 display tank and 1 breeding tank and only mix species that you can tell the females apart. When you want to breed a species pull them all out and breed them then stick them back into the main tank.

If you are mixing fish from different groups sometimes you can get away without crossing, I have found dems/yellows/peacocks when kept together don't seem to readily cross and if they were to then the fry would be pretty obviously munted and easy decisions to cull.

That is a good way to do it, another way to do it is to have 1 display tank and 1 breeding tank and only mix species that you can tell the females apart. When you want to breed a species pull them all out and breed them then stick them back into the main tank.

If you are mixing fish from different groups sometimes you can get away without crossing, I have found dems/yellows/peacocks when kept together don't seem to readily cross and if they were to then the fry would be pretty obviously munted and easy decisions to cull.

when you say only mix females of speices that you can tell the females apart as an example do you mean dont have several varites of peacocks in the one tank.as they can be very similar?