suggestions for medium sized fish

redracer77

I have just sold my 5 large Jurupari and I'm looking for something similar sized for my 300l planted tank.

Currently stocked with snowball plecs, whiptails, leopard ctenopoma, rainbow shark, fire eel (dwarf), black widow tetras.

Looking to get 1 or 2 fish

I have been considering Threadfin Heckeli, Pinktail chalceus, gold saum, firemouth.

Any other suggestions or comments on those fish?

Many of those cichlids are diggers, but i guess if you managed to keep it planted with the leucosticta/"jurupari" you could manage with them. The threadfins do get pretty big, up to 12" long and quite a high bodied fish, 300L would be [iMO] nearly on the small side for them depending on dimensions. Firemouths would be really nice if you can find good quality stock.

heres a different suggestion that i have seen done recenlty with great success and looked great.its.....convict cichlids i know they can be agressive but will go fine with the current fish in there would they not.they love darting about through the plants and look nice to

Not too interested in convicts.

I do plan on a tank upgrade in the future when we aren't renting. I think tank size will be fine for now as 2 of the leucosticta got to 23cm

Not too worried about digging as I won't have as many fish that dig.

How do the chalceus behave in a community setup? would they nip at the threadfin?

Are there any other ctenopoma imported?

Do we get rainbow cichlid (Herotilapia multispinosa)?