Best media for a trickle filter?

zeebee

Hi :wave:

I have a trickle filter system, and was wandering what would the best media to put into it. At the moment, it has a cartridge with filterwool and carbon, a black sponge under that, and then ceramic noodles under that.

Would I be better off to replace the carbon cartridge with more noodles? It is a planted aquarium.

depends on the brand but i found ceramic is around 20,000 square feet per gallon and Sintered glass around 40,000 - 50,000 sq ft per gallon (I hate imperial measurements), plastic bio balls are only around 20 - 30 sq ft per gallon

also there is talk that sintered glass can help reduce nitrates as well (im assuming they mean in marine tanks with anaerobic bacteria)

Bio balls are good for disrupting the water and getting lots of oxygen in for the beneficial bacteria, but their surface area will always lose out to ceramic/ sintered noodles.

The downside of ceramic/ sintered noodles is the weight - my sump has bioballs in the tower which works fine, but if I swapped them for ceramic noodles, the glass support would just give way.

its all about the texture and how porous it is.

the bacteria infests surface area, the rougher it is and the more porous the media the better.

sintere happens to be more porous and more textured than your average ceramic, but good quality ceramic lasts longer, albeit a bit more cost. its a balancing act.

Thanks for your advice.

Anyone know a cheap place I can buy some noodles online?

cost of them online is actualy similar to pet shops.

give hollywood a call, buy a product by aqua one

either noodles or the ceramisub.

thats fantastic stuff!

good value too.

they will ship to you im sure.