soft tank & Zeovit should I

Duke

Phosphate removing resin is the easiest. Buy it, put it in a sock and clip it somewhere in your sump or overflow.

Macro algae is a great option but requires more work.

Zeovit, well its zeovit.

If it was me, I probably wouldn't use anything until I get my tank under cotroll (cycle). By then you may decide if its worth the effort of phosphate export (your skimmer does this, and may do it very well depending on overall size of the tank vs. the skimmer).

Newbies (sorry you know what I mean) often make mistakes around adding to much livestock, overfeeding etc. If this is you the above systems became far less effective. Think of them as 'finishing moves' but not essentials.

Good luck

Pie

One thing, live rock does not store phosphates like sand beds. Bacterial turgor insures that live rock is continually purged of phosphate. Where as in a sand bed it is largely stored, and then released into the water column once saturated.

Duke, do you have a problem with either phosphate or nitrate at the moment? If not, I would not change anything.

You can run a successful reef without using macro algae, zeovit, and phosphate removers. Only use them as a last resort.

Also, remember tanks take time to stabilise and reach an equilibrium, any change you make can prolong the time it takes for a tank to settle. So give things a chance.

Layton

Phosphate storage in live rock works like a creek (river). Once you full up the dry bed, there is a continual and steady trickle.

ie. It will absorb phosphate to around the phosphate level in surrounding water. Then ,through bacteria turgor, it is pushed out (and replaced to approximately match water levels) over time at a relatively constant rate.

Running a sand bed, however, is like putting a sub-standard dam across the creek. It will work for a while storing phosphate. Then it will fail, releasing this pent up phosphate relatively quickly.

The point is the continual trickle from the live rock is able to be processed by a skimmer, where as the sudden release from a sand bed can easily saturate the skimmers ability.

I am not going to argue it, but I don't belive either of these things to be particualry true:

Running a sand bed, however, is like putting a sub-standard dam across the creek. It will work for a while storing phosphate. Then it will fail, releasing this pent up phosphate relatively quickly.

The point is the continual trickle from the live rock is able to be processed by a skimmer, where as the sudden release from a sand bed can easily saturate the skimmers ability.

I wouldn't be afraid of the sand bed, there are some examples of them crashing, however I often wounder if the sandbed can truely be to blame, often its in a tank that is a 'toy' in that it is consistantly played with. EB has tanks with sandbeds over 15 years old, still going strong.

Pies

I wouldn't be afraid of the sand bed, there are some examples of them crashing, however I often wounder if the sandbed can truely be to blame, often its in a tank that is a 'toy' in that it is consistantly played with. EB has tanks with sandbeds over 15 years old, still going strong.

There is plenty of evidence to suggest this is true.

Don't get me wrong sandbeds have there uses. I run one myself. They do wonders in reducing nitrate. But the fact is they absorb phosphate which does get released eventually. Whether or not it "crashes" your tank or not is irrelevant. The release is undesirable.

Given another couple of months I'll dump the sand in my DSB and start again, to avoid this potential problem.

Layton