Cycling help

Belgianbiscuit

Hi all,

I am ready to start cycling tank. I think I want to do it without fish.

It seems the fish I want to keep are not hardy enough (Neons mainly) and I don't want to be stuck with guppy's or something that I used for cycling.

I have a new filter and placed about a dozen plants in my gravel.

Should I do any water changes before I have fish in it or just test for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate every few days until it is right?

I had a look at the article on the site. They talk about adding ammonia. What ammonia (brand maybe) should I get?

Or am I better off to let it occur by adding more plants and some food (think I read that decaying food helps)

Cheers

Thanks guys,

These are some good posts. Still not sure which way to go though.

Excuse my ignorance but does a product like Aquarium Complete get the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels right in no time?

I am not sure if you are familiar with the program tanked on Animal Planet but these guys fill a tank, add bacteria in liquid form and set the fish loose. Is this what "cycle" products allow you to do?

Would it be ok to add a few neons now? Water has been in there for a few days, filtration going, temperature is ok and I have plants.

I just don't want to hurt the neons :-)

Also, how frequently would I change water at this stage and how much?

Cheers

yes you can add A FEW SMALL HARDY fish, (such as neons/ guppies/ molly) so long as you do -

Water changes: aim for 20% change twice a week, more if you feel up to it for the first month, then weekly 20% changes should see you right as long as the bio-load remains the same.

Mini-cycles happen every time you change a aspect of your tank, whether it is adding more fish, or cleaning part of the filter, increased w/c's at these times will help curb the possible spikes.

I don't believe in magic potions that claim to do all the work for you, only water conditioner to remove chlorine and its by-products...

There is more to water chemistry than the nitrogen cycle, and I like to imagine a water change as opening a window in a stagnant room that's been locked up for a few days with animals in it...

Then again, some will say that I'm just old-school, but, I know what works for me, and what costs the least... Patience is a virtue....