Freshwater Mussels

gsveda

I've only been in that shop the once when I was in conference in Rotorua a couple of months ago. In comparison with what we have in Wgton, they had quite a few fresh water and marine tanks with a technician for both. Tanks looked clean and fish looked healthy. In chatting to them they didn't seem clueless.

And Hollywood Fishfarm have just come back to me with the following:

The Mussels in store here are fed on Spirulina Tabs and also Seachems Nourish, Nourish is a great product to use for these and also Freshwater fish. If used correctly it wont cause problems with ammonia.

Also, before I started trying to talk to petshops, I found a website about NZ freshwater species (sadly didn't bookmark it) and emailed them and Dr. Clint McCullough replied with this information:

I used to keep mussels in cattle troughs where they seemed to thrive on the algal blooms.

They will not have enough food in a fishtank, however, they do not normally receive many nutrients in a natural stream so can get by on just a few.

To be honest, it is near impossible to keep them inside without them getting too hot/starving. However, if you have a fish pond outside this would do them nicely. They need water below 25oC; so mainly water that has a good bit of vegetation shading it.

They are not particular for substrate; although sand is probably best as they like to burrow. They are actually quite active and can make a real mess of a nicely landscaped aquarium for this reason as they plough around at night.