Getting my jags to breed

AdamBro

Hi all,

I have a tank (250litres) with a black shark, red tiger oscar, bristle nose catfish, 2 convicts and from what I was told a breeding pair of jaguar cichlids. Ive had them 2 to 3 months and I havnt seen any eggs yet. They hang out as though they are a breeding pair so im guessing I need to create a better enviroment for them to breed in maybe? Has anyone got any tips etc so help?

Cheers

Adam

My jags have only spawned a couple of times for me in the last year, but as with you mine spent most of that time in a community and i wonder if thats part of the reason..

Did a big water change a few weeks ago and after that they started flaring at each other and looked like they might be thinking of breeding, so i gave them their own tank and they did the business a few weeks later.

My recommendation... clean water and own tank, cause honestly you dont want jags trying to breed in a community, unless you dont want your other fish. They wont fair so well if the jags actually have fry!

well unfortunately i cant set up another tank and ive been thinking about selling my oscar, i dont want to get rid of the black shark :slfg:

the convicts can go. ill crank up the temp and keep up the regular water changes hopefully get some luck

i dont want to get rid of the black shark

250L ain't really big enough for breeding jags OR a black shark, let alone both together. If your jag pair is smaller the tank should be ok (not for ever though), but keep a close eye on them for aggression. Jags are usually good parents/partners but in a small tank one could turn on the other and do some serious damage. As for any other fish unfortunate to be in the same tank...

How big are the pair?

250L ain't really big enough for breeding jags OR a black shark, let alone both together. If your jag pair is smaller the tank should be ok (not for ever though), but keep a close eye on them for aggression. Jags are usually good parents/partners but in a small tank one could turn on the other and do some serious damage. As for any other fish unfortunate to be in the same tank...

How big are the pair?

True that, you need a decent tank for them, mine are in the 6 footer (650L) as part of a community of big cichlids, although they had a 4x2x2 foot 350L to themselves to breed in. They are awesome parents and a really tight couple, stick together even when in with a larger male jag, such awesome fish, i would eventually like to have them permanently in a 500 or 600L by themselves.

• 4 weeks later...

haha im hoping the pair can parent them well enough

the first spawning i removed the eggs and put them in another tank

only about 20 became wrigglers and now i have 6 left :facepalm:

so this time i thought id leave them with the parents and ive now

got maybe 50 wrigglers :happy1:

True that, you need a decent tank for them, mine are in the 6 footer (650L) as part of a community of big cichlids, although they had a 4x2x2 foot 350L to themselves to breed in. They are awesome parents and a really tight couple, stick together even when in with a larger male jag, such awesome fish, i would eventually like to have them permanently in a 500 or 600L by themselves.

i would love to get a tank that big but i just cant where i am at the moment

all i can do for them at the moment is get rid of the other fish

i would love to get a tank that big but i just cant where i am at the moment

all i can do for them at the moment is get rid of the other fish

Ihave a spare 400L. I can accommodate the pair for you for now for some fry later :thup: