Who can solve rubiks cubes?

Squirt

What are you studying in networks, subnetting? Just curious - I'm a IT network/security guy :)

Can't do rubik's cube though - never bothered to learn the moves

Umm I'm not really sure? :slfg: things like Dijkstras, Prims, Kruskals algorithms, minimum spanning trees, Euler/Hamiltonian circuits/paths kind of stuff I guess :digH:

I can do two layers without assistance, and the last one only if I have to book!

Not bad Zev :thup:

I can do a 3x3x3 in minute and a half or less, and a 5x5x5 in under 5 minutes (pretty much like a 3x3x3 but you solve the centers first then solve like a 3x3x3)

Umm I'm not really sure? :slfg: things like Dijkstras, Prims, Kruskals algorithms, minimum spanning trees, Euler/Hamiltonian circuits/paths kind of stuff I guess :digH:

Ahh, very theoretical stuff. I use spanning tree all the time, but that other stuff is just a vague memory from my student days :smln:

Are you at uni/polytech, or do they teach that stuff at schools now?

there is an easy way to solve a rubiks cube, move the stickers

Nahh that munts the stickers and they do not adhere very well after you have done that, it is way easier to disassemble it and stick it back together the right way :wink:

I can't do it but I once had a friend who was amazing at it.

He knew the exact sequence it would take to get one dot from one place to another.. he didn't even look at the cube as he carried out that sequence.. only occationally looking down to look for the next dot to move..

Didn't matter how much we scrambled his cube his average time to solve it would be around 2 min.

Ahh, very theoretical stuff. I use spanning tree all the time, but that other stuff is just a vague memory from my student days :smln:

Are you at uni/polytech, or do they teach that stuff at schools now?

They're teaching it in year 12/6th form calculus, I think I screwed up my test today but TGIF! :slfg:

Yeah there are algorithms to get them into place :thup:

They're actually pretty easy to do. I don't know the speed moves but I simplified the algorithms to suit me and can do them in about 3 minutes using those methods. Not too many rules to learn. I've also taught < 10 year olds to do it using my methods.

I've got a 5x5x5 cube too and they're solved the same way as a 3x3x3 .. you just have to do a fair bit of prep work before you apply the 3x3x3 methods.