My first decent fishkeeping fail :(

FraserNZ

Today I went into my garage to find that two of my Shellies had both died over night that were otherwise heathy and happy the night before. I can't for the life of me think what could of killed them??

The tank was a 30L running a ehiem canister filter, and an ehiem 100w heater. My first thought was that maybe I pulled out the heater my mistake last night as I was playing around with the tank next to it last night. But no, the water was at the correct temp with the filter running.

The only thing I can think of that may have killed them was that I left the presurized CO2 system on the other tank running without the timer cut off as I'm trying to propergate glosso in it. Would this have put enough co2 into the garage to kill the fish in the tank next to it? It’s a bit of a worry if so!!

It was cold last night, and a small tank, maybe the temp fluctuated too much before the heater clicked on again?? Still, quite weird, I wouldn't have thought even that would be enough to lose them both at once. Unless one died first for whatever reason and caused an ammonia spike for the other (but again, wouldn't think it would happen overnight?)

How long had they been in the tank for?

Bummer, that does suck :tears:

Yeah it was really the other night so that was my first thought. However that tank was fitted with a 100w ehiem so I doubt that would of had any problem keeping the tank above 25c even if the temp in the tank dipped down to 20c I would be surprised it would of killed them.

Having said that it did get down to around 6 from memory?

:tears:

I can't really help with what killed your shellies but I have always found them to be very tough and even from fry have done 20% water changes from the hose on their tanks with no losses..

Yeah well they seemed very tough up until the other day... Over summer I forgot I had unplugged the heater whilst I was rearranging the tank, they went without heat for 2 days without a worry!