seachem flourite

Ymir

Is it worth buying?

I guess it depends on what type of plants you are intending to be growing.

There are cheaper options on the market, however most require a top layer of substrate to stop the nutrients leaking into the water column. I feel that for this reason the seachems product is worth buying because I'm funding my current tank turns into a complete mess every time I try to move a plant in the tank. It has now got to the stage where I need to re-lay the gravel as its too thin in some parts.

You wouldn't have this problem with seachems

Is it worth buying?

If you have to ask, I'm leaning towards the don't bother...

What sort of tank are you looking at? If the answer is anything but a medium-heavy planted community, then it probably not going to be worth the out-lay...

Daltons propagating mix and JBL balls grew pretty much anything I stuck in my tank, and those that didn't I can put down to in-adequate lighting...

EDIT:

Found this on Seachem Website, might be a useful tool for someone..

http://www.seachem.com/support/GravelMineralComposition.pdf

It is only for crypts. I have a african cichlid tank with calcite as the substrate. The crypts grow but very munted looking. I don't think they like the calcite as a growing medium and I thought I would give the seachem a go, since it is on special at Hollywoods.

I would only need one bag as they are only grown in the front of the tank.

I have been doing a little research on the Tom Barr website and it seems that Flourite isn't "that" kindly regarded on that website, it's seems that it could even be a cheap alternative to ADA substrates. Most people on that site talk about mixing the Flourite with other fertilizers to give it enough nutrients.

I'm hoping this isn't the case as I'm plaining a glosso carpeted tank for my next project and will be using Flourite as its the only complete nutrient based substrate on the market here in NZ...