DIATOMS

RUNAS

Hi there, I know all aquariums are different and different nutrient levels etc have a marked impact on how things cycle but on average how long does the diatom/brown algae stage for last for?

My phospahte levels are 0.5 or nearly 0, I have little batches of green algae growing slowly on the tops of rock,nothing hairy looking, more like moss and nearly every night when I come home it looks like the diatoms is getting patchy or a white growth is growing over it.

The glass shrimp give the stuff heaps,theyre like little energizer green keepers :digH:

Could it be these guys making the patches?

I dont think the brown is getting worse, it has cerainly slowed down, I keep the lights off all day with the closest curtains shut, the only light is the "blues" for three hours from 5.30 til 8.30.

Other levels are Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10

I considered geting some local rock pool snails(local coldie FOWLR tank BTW) to see if they will back up the glass shrimp or get more glass shrimp.

Im certainly not keen in a "additive" to get rid of it

Im not being impatient, just courious :dunno:

RUNAS

Sounds like you are being impatient to me, time is the best thing you can add to a local marine, and NSW.

How big is the tank? Are you running a chiller? Are temperatures stable even if a little high or do they fluctuate?

Keep it consistent, keep up the water changes, I do 10% twice daily water changes on the time times if I can, otherwise just one at morning and one at night.

Nitrate is weird on 10 when the others are on 0, try collecting the water sample from the top of the water level at the front, at the rear, Mid water level, and low water level front and rear and see if there are any differences. This should also rule out any human error as there should be a patten develop.