Best reptile pet shop in Chch?

emaytiti

Heya, best places in Chch for reptile stuff is redwood aquatics center (have bought quite a few things from there and the prices are more reasonable), and then proud paws northlands (are quite expensive but have an okay range) and pet and garden.

Never ask the people in proud paws about their reptiles they know nothing about them, and atm are claiming their tiny bearded dragons to be around 8 weeks old they're at least half the size of what I'd expect an 8 week old should look like.

Heya, best places in Chch for reptile stuff is redwood aquatics center (have bought quite a few things from there and the prices are more reasonable), and then proud paws northlands (are quite expensive but have an okay range) and pet and garden.

Never ask the people in proud paws about their reptiles they know nothing about them, and atm are claiming their tiny bearded dragons to be around 8 weeks old they're at least half the size of what an 8 week old should look like.

I suggest you get your facts right before pointing fingers....

The babies ARE 8 weeks old, came to us at 6 weeks. Since being with us they have shown good growth rate, we cannot be responsible for them before they arrive with us.

We DO know what we are talking about and DO have the largest range of reptiles and products in the South Island. And this is fact, I get sales reports on stocked products throughout NZ. We have products that you will find no where else in NZ.

Price wise we ARE cheaper than just about any other store and if you find it cheaper elsewhere we will normally match it.

Our staff are well trained and we have 2 ex zoo keepers on staff who between them have near 30 years experience. Maybe if you think we don't know what we are talking about its due to you being told the wrong information.... We are known NZ wide and are often referred to by vets for advice.

I am not wishing to dispute your feelings but simply letting you know the FACTS.

When I had initially inquired into said dragons, the employee couldn't tell me age, or even if they were inland or coastal, the continued to say they were eastern then changed their mind inland and was telling me about how you cannot get coastal dragons in NZ.

Didn't know about the matching maybe that should be advertised more, I've ended up never buying main products from the store as they were always far more expensive than the other 2 main reptile stores.

Not trying to turn it into an argument of any sort, just sharing my experience with the stores so far. Don't get me wrong proudpaws has a decent reptile range, I just found it to be more expensive and was put off by some miss information.

When I had initially inquired into said dragons, the employee couldn't tell me age, or even if they were inland or coastal, the continued to say they were eastern then changed their mind inland and was telling me about how you cannot get coastal dragons in NZ.

Didn't know about the matching maybe that should be advertised more, I've ended up never buying main products from the store as they were always far more expensive than the other 2 main reptile stores.

If they didn't know possibly due to just arriving, and also the fact we currently have 2 new staff training, cannot learn everything in a couple of weeks. There will always be staff in any store who will focus on certain species of animals, reptiles for example.

In regards to matching, no we do not advertise it, nor will we be, most people will actually talk about their needs and pricing and we go from there. This way we get to know each other and people different needs. I will usually do a deal on larger purchases. Never hurts to ask, good old saying of nothing learnt nothing gained. I can tell you now that there is 3 other shops in CHCH who sell a thermostat like we do for $25 more than we do. Just an example off top of my head.

The bulk of our prices on our website and TM are FAR cheaper than elsewhere you have mentioned. We know all of our reptile customers, maybe you should get to know us, we look after our loyal customers very well.

Later in the year we are relocating, and I can assure you we will have the largest display of reptiles, reptile products and anything reptile in NZ. It's my personal passion and I will be passing this on in the store. Would love to see you at the opening, trust me its going to be amazing.

As previous i'm not disputing your view, but simply will not tolerate negativity when it comes to the facts.

Later in the year we are relocating, and I can assure you we will have the largest display of reptiles, reptile products and anything reptile in NZ. It's my personal passion and I will be passing this on in the store. Would love to see you at the opening, trust me its going to be amazing.

As previous i'm not disputing your view, but simply will not tolerate negativity when it comes to the facts.

Fair enough, I'll be interested to see the new store when it opens.

Just so far I've found all the food, supplements and lighting I have purchased to date to be cheaper at redwood aquatics. (I spent a long time shopping round)

Have to say that the display is more user friendly at redwoods...once you find it.

However knowing where the staff at PP have had their training and what the owner has reportedly kept..would ask them for advice.

You dont ask you dont get.

Also cant wait to see new shop as I hear it is considerable compaired to that at the mall.

Have never had an issue with advice given by owner or his assitsant

Thanks Navarre for your positive comments. Yes new store doesn't even compare... we ran out of space about 2 years ago. New store is 3 times the size...

There will be great opening specials and deals exclusive to forum and store members. Still a wee way off but getting closer by the day!

I suggest you get your facts right before pointing fingers....

The babies ARE 8 weeks old, came to us at 6 weeks. Since being with us they have shown good growth rate, we cannot be responsible for them before they arrive with us.

We DO know what we are talking about and DO have the largest range of reptiles and products in the South Island. And this is fact, I get sales reports on stocked products throughout NZ. We have products that you will find no where else in NZ.

Price wise we ARE cheaper than just about any other store and if you find it cheaper elsewhere we will normally match it.

Our staff are well trained and we have 2 ex zoo keepers on staff who between them have near 30 years experience. Maybe if you think we don't know what we are talking about its due to you being told the wrong information.... We are known NZ wide and are often referred to by vets for advice.

I am not wishing to dispute your feelings but simply letting you know the FACTS.

I have dealt with Proud Paws for quite a while now, and they are pretty good. They are the only place you can buy those mercury vapour bulbs- primo for dragons. The owner has a passion for reptiles, they are not just an add-on as with so many other stores. He makes special orders so he often has gear you can't find anywhere else and he is picky about quality when sourcing animals. He also spares no expense to fix problems that inevitably happen with reptiles, I don't know of any other stores that go that far.

Good luck with the new store dude. Hope it goes well.

name could be "Herpts and all that other stuff"...but you might get ppl looking for a specific treatment rather than Reptiles :facepalm:

Too True. I used to have 'herpetologist' on my c.v under 'Interests'....didn't go down too well...sounds too much like having a chronic case of herpes.