Julidochromis regani

LYNDYLOO

Hi Guys,

I'm just doing abit of research on a few different species of fish, I'm finding alot of conflicting info, so thought I would ask you guys what your thoughts are.

I'm wanting a few extra species in my Malawai Tank, at the moment I have RedTop Ice Blues, Electric Yellows and Demasoni's, can I put either of these in wit my Malawai's. I realise they are not from Lake Malawai.

Species are: Julidochromis regani and Neolamprologus leleupi

Any help would be very much appreciated.

4ftr round about 250 ish Ltrs.

Really only wanting say 3-4 females and 1 male.

Have probably about 20 Electric Yellows a few Dem's and 12ish Red Top Ice Blues.

Running a CF1200 External filter along with a Internal of 1000 lph.

Do at least 3 water changes a week.

Lots of hidey holes.

Your probably already pretty high on stocking for that tank already, what are the dimensions?

The ice blues will be your problem I had major aggression issues with them even in much bigger tanks the males can get quite big and throw their weight around.. They shouldn't create too many issues with your mbuna though and you have a good number of them to spread aggression.

In terms of compatibility you could add a group of either lelu or jullies, only issue you may encounter is they don't seem to get much food when kept with mbuna so tend to not grow or do very well.

You could thin down your yellows, 20 is quite alot. That would give you a few more options for stocking. I would stick with mbuna only as the red tops are pretty aggro, i wouldnt think that haps and peacocks would be very happy in there. Ryan had some tropheops a while back they might work quite well nice colours with the females as well.

I have johannii and aurora in with my yellows, dems and ice blues. I also have temporarily housed a breeding group of cobolt zebras while I cycle their new tank which I was pretty nervous about - I thought there might be carnage with the ice blues - but no dramas yet touch wood. I have similiar numbers without any problems but having said that, my tank is twice your size. Getting the M:F ratios per species is crucial IMO as most conflict and aggression is con-specific.

As far as thinning down your yellows, this will be inevitable as your males develop to keep ratios balanced. You might even be able to get an idea of M:F numbers now to see where you're at.

I do see a bigger tank on you horizon... :spop:

I would only really recommend other mbuna for that tank, big thing with mbuna is good sized tanks and tons of fish to spread the aggression. Only issue with this is cross breeding if you are planning to breed from the fish.

Ratio of yellows isn't really important they aren't that hard on each other, they are just taking up space in your tank.

I wouldn't really recommend anymore fish in that sized tank just let the ones you have grow up and see how things work out first.