CLEANING DEAD CORAL ROCK

DebinChch

Hi all i have bought some dead coral rock for my cichlid tank ,it was originally from a marine tank but has been submerged in fresh water for a month of so ,it is quite discolourer -not green algae just a brownish look to it ,my question is ,how do i get it nice and white safely so i can put it in my cichlid tank ,any info gladly taken on board :thup:

I don't have personal experience with this but this is what I would do:

Soak in bleach, not pure bleach but a strong solution for a few days or until bleached. Bleach is quite safe to use as long as you make sure that IT IS COMPLETELY GONE from the rocks before putting them in a tank.

I would rinse several times in clean water. Soak in water with dechlorinator (e.g. prime) for a day and then perhaps dry out completely in the sun... Then I would dechlorinate again and then put in tank.

Hope this would get them nice and white again.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you both for your replies i tried leaving it in the sun ,its whitened slightly i have soaked it in bleack and it has whitened a bit more but no where near what it would have looked like originally i bought it 2mths ago and was told to leave it in sun for a while and itd whiten but didnt ,it was from a marine tank but had been in fresh water for several mths b4 i got it , its quite brown and grotty looking is there any thing else i can try or have i done my dough.

• 2 weeks later...

um you can buy Hydrogen Peroxide in different volumes from Chemist.

10 and 20 % v/v i think are most common

I would brush pour pour it on

it will froth on contatct with protein

water will deactivate the Hydrogen Peroxide to funnily enough Hydrongen and Oxygen-converted to well water...lol

Wear gloves and goggles.

and rinse well before going in a tank with coral afterwards