cloudy water

recycled oldy

I set up my new AR980 tank with gravel/compost/gravel 4 days ago, exactly as instructions on the compost bag. I filled with Taupo tap water and added about 60 plant cuttings, (no fish). The water was/is very cloudy and the back filter was obviously not coping so I removed it's 3 charcoal packs and sustituted 25mm of fluffy white filter material, topped with old and well washed cotton fabric. This is showing brown stains, presumably from the compost leaking out through the gravel.

The question is, will this clear in reasonable time or should I bite the bullet, clean out and start all over? If so would it be OK to use a trick from long ago and make the compost up in flat packs made from the legs of ladies nylon tights.

You put compost in your tank? I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing that before. :) Interested to hear how it goes.

Give it a couple more days, see if it clears up, otherwise give it a big water change and very gently refill so it doesn't stir anything up.

Give it a couple more days, see if it clears up, otherwise give it a big water change and very gently refill so it doesn't stir anything up.

+1 This is what I would do.

Also, what sort of compost did you add to the water? The amount of nutrients in a common potting soil type compost might be significantly more than an aquatic environment will thrive in.

Many thanks to those who provided helpful responses. I see that I puzzled some people with my reference to compost, I actually used "JBL AquaBasis plus, long term nutriant substrate". Fancy names for fancy goods.

In my earlier fish keeping existence the stuff we put under the gravel was referred to as aquatic compost or, amongst fishy friends. "compost".

Where I went wrong was in using a coarser gravel than JBL recommend. I am currently trying out Aquamaster's "Magic clear" which is showing some improvement.