breeding tips for tropheus??!

trophy_malaw

Hey guys,

thought i would start a topic as per subject line im keen for ANY Tips and Advice that breeders have out there for their trophues. sure the community would be interested in as well.

was more so thinking particular things that you do or use or dont do. besides the usual weekly water change and Ph levels.

I have a mature breeding group of White Band Dubosi 8 females and 2 males and really want to try learn and find out more what i can do to try bring theese guys into breeding.

cold water changes works for my malawis but I don't keep any tangs (not yet anyway). 50% water change then add cold water. Drops the temp to around 23 and takes about an hour to get back to 26-27 but it seems to do the trick when it comes to breeding action. Maybe it replacates a monsoon dumping in the wild?

P S it makes water changes a billion times easier - I use a garden hose to refill. I just kick back and watch :thup:

Large cold water changes are not ideal for tropheus, but I do it for my peacocks tho ( usually only 25-35%)

Things should be avoided that can trigger bloat.

As the water temp changes coming into winter or depending on what time of day I do the water change will have an effect on how much I change. In summer I can comfortably do 50% but in winter 20-30% would be max as the water is a few degrees colder. I simply aim to fill the tank back up and drop temp to 23. Never had a fish with bloat yet... touch wood!

As the water temp changes coming into winter or depending on what time of day I do the water change will have an effect on how much I change. In summer I can comfortably do 50% but in winter 20-30% would be max as the water is a few degrees colder. I simply aim to fill the tank back up and drop temp to 23. Never had a fish with bloat yet... touch wood!

Do you keep tropheus?

I would agree with the others above, good food, good water conditions and patience.. Good filtration/aeration seem to be helpful as well, when they are ready they will breed :)

i feed large amounts all the time and do 30% water changes from the hose weekly, no drama for me.

Yea I would do water changes at 30% from the hose but always feed them enough but still leave them wanting more. Keep lights on long so that they get enough algae to graze on.