White Spot

Travis & Vicki

Late last week i brought a pair of convicts from the local pet store, the ones i have appear to be happy healthy and settled in well. :D

I was there thismorning on another matter, looked at the stock they had left in the tank and pointe out that they were covered in spots, a couple of the fish looked nearly dead, the assistant treated the tank there and then , thanked me for pointing it out and told me that all tanks carry the white spot bug , and mine wont get it. I dont know that i believe what i was told , what is the incubation period, are mine likely to be infected and not yet showing the spots :( some knowlageable advice from someone not out to make a dollar from me would be appreciated :bow:

You will notice pretty quickly if your fish get white spot, and it is relatively simply to cure so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Convicts are very tough little cichlids, and they aren't know to be prone to white spot. White spot is often brought on by stress, such as moving tanks, being shipped, being placed in new water conditions etc. I have all too often seen fish in reputable fish shops with white spot, so it isn't unusual- although I'm never seen them at death's door before!

Your fish would probably have shown signs of white spot pretty soon after being settled in, but it sounds like they are happy and healthy. I don't think you have too much to worry about.

and told me that all tanks carry the white spot bug

That’s not too cool, I'm not to sure about what to think of that store and the assistant.

It seems very irresponsible that a store would just have white spot and only take action when customers point it out. I could at least help you by advising that you don’t get your fish from there anymore.

When fish first get white spot it's usually on their gills so it's unnoticable at first. It usually escalates from there though and becomes visible.

If they do develop it, to treat it I reccomend copper sulfate (often sold as snail killer but kills all invertabrites, including the Ich parasite - it's less stressfull on the fish than normal medications too) and a bit of salt (Ich can't stand anything over 3ppm).

my Vieja Synspilum went a bit loopy in the tank the other night some how cut hre head on the glass lid and K.Oed her self. i put her in the community tank overnight expecting to find her dead in the morning, but didnt want the other cichlids making a meal of her while unconcious in case she came good , which she had by the time i went to work, if it is in the cichlids tank the community tank will have it. can i treat it and have my darlin kulie loaches suvive :cry:

Just because a shop has a tank with white spot in it doesn't mean it is a bad shop. They may not have noticed it until Travis pointed it out and rightly thanked him for pointing it out. If the tanks in the shop have it, then his should have it too unless they were stressed after his were removed in which case it is quite possible that the fish he bought do not have white spot, even if the rest in the shop do.

If the shop immediately took steps to treat the tank and refused to sell the fish in it, then that is quite acceptable.