Starting up a new tank

pufferfishnz

Ive finally got around to unpacking and setting up my tank again after moving nearly a year ago!!

I cant decide what to get fish wise this time.

My tank is approx 40 litres, internal filter and has lights. It is square in shape.

I have a young daughter and was wanting to get her into fish one day (too young for it now) but I'd LOVE to get some fish that are interesting to watch: so.... colourful, maybe a bit showy (if you know what I mean), fast moving (but not too fast so her eyes can keep up with them) maybe a schooling fish?

I used to keep tetras and thought they might be good as they are pretty easy to keep.

Any suggestions people?

Also what could I plant the tank up with?

How about a nice fighter (Betta Splendens)? You could find some appropriate wood and get Java Moss (or Xmas Moss) to attach to in and scape it. Then have some gravel, and a background and foreground plant. Would be low tech so low lighting, nutrients and CO2.

If you feel like a school of something I quite fancy emerald Rasboras.

Caryl thats a great idea!! the only thing is EVERYTHING animal catches her eyes. Shes only 10 months old, but loves anything animaly to bits. Ive never seen any one get so excited over cats/dogs/fish/chickens/horses....etc.... you name it she squeals with delight and shakes all over! Its a crack up.