lighting recommendations

chimera

back on the subject of lighting. i have 2 x 250W 10ks over my 5 foot tank currently. They will have to remain 250W as thats all my ballast can handle. Pies recommended putting a 3rd 400W bulb in the middle. This will be the plan bearing in mind that due to cost reasons, it will be done a couple of months down the line. also bear in mind i want to replace the current 250W bulbs this week. so....

what kelvin rating does everyone recommend I go for assuming I have 3 x M/H's, outsides being 250W and middle being 400W. i am considering 20k, 10k, 20k OR 10k, 20k, 10k OR 14k, 20k, 14k

what does everyone else recommend?

yes i liked this idea too and will probably do this, say from 12pm til 3pm or something. it's also convenient for me if you take into account that 400W does not last as long as 250W bulbs, shorter photoperiod with the 400W should mean replacement times for all bulbs will be about the same :D

I've currently got a 20k and a 10k right next to each other, angled so the light mingles by the time it hits anything, perhaps something similar to what you are thinking of, but actually I think 2 x 14 k's would have been better, that's what I'm doing at next bulb change time.

IMO you should go with a high quality 14k bulb in all of them. However, it would also depend on aquascaping and just what effects you are trying to achieve. Also some organisms will look better under different k ratings to others, so some experimentation may be needed.

Im running 1 x 20K, (Very blue)

Looks awesome.

Its all in your own taste.

Personally I would run something like a 20K in the middle and a couple of 12ks onthe oustside.

10K are too yellow.

12k and over looks like a real reef! The rocks look extremly clean.