Does silica sand leach anything into the water?

Joe

Try these people Joe - http://www.centaland.co.nz/landscape-garden-supplies/

This is just one of the sort of landscaping places I looked up and is the sort of place I got my original East Coast Play Sand from that is at the beginning of my loach tank thread - is that the sort of pale you mean? You can usually drive right in to these places, and have a look at it piled in the walled area and then buy a bag. If you take a bottle of water with you you can wet it and see what colour it is under water - imagine it as that colour but with light shining on it, usually comes up lighter still. Play sand is usually fine and smooth like silica sand but not as perfectly smooth and it will have different grain colours and maybe sizes too. If you like the stuff in the bottom of my loach tank now it's called West Coast black sand or Woodville forest. Am not sure if they ship that stuff down to the south island or not but it's not black, it's quite gold when under the water.

In any case they will likely have a couple of different types. Usually there is a bloke on hand to help lift stuff into the back of the car if it's really heavy. You will also see rocks and other tempting things...Any sand you buy from this place will need to be washed really well as it's been outside in the weather etc.