How to attach and run an external filter with AR850 filter?

mcmillanm

Hi,

I decided that my AR850 could do with some more filtration, particularly on the RHS & so I've just bought a 2nd hand Aquis 1000 off of trade me. I'm hoping to put the spray bar into the LHS of the back of the tank & run it along the back & would like to somehow put the inlet pipe into the back corner of the RHS.

I'm not that much of a DIY'er and was hoping not to involve my hubby of whom I haven't yet told about my recent purchase LOL :facepalm: .

I would like to continue to run the trickle filter which I've just managed to reduce the 'urinal' noise, I just think two filters will be more efficient.

To cut a long story short I was hoping some people could provide me with some instructions, tools needed and pictures showing how and where on their tank they did it and the finished product.

Jennifer - thanks for your instructions. I would love to see a picture when you get a chance to take one. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I thought I'd reply to this to help out others in the future who would like to add some more filtration...

I rang Aqua one to ask their advice and it has worked a treat - here's what I've done...

I've set it up so that I've got an inlet pipe going down in the back corners of each side of the tank, the AR850 trickle filter still working as normal (with a thin aquarium sponge cut from one of my Juwel tank sponges to quieten the (urinal) trickle sound my husband hates) a d the Aquis 1000 spray bar fed through the cords hole from the back LHS and along the back of the tank.

All the pipes go to the RHS of tank and into the cabinet where the external cannister lives.

Ok, to attach the inlet pipe all we had to do was measure where hole would go and starting with a small drill (and placing wood under plastic to be drilled to protect plastic and floor) made steadily larger holes until it was slightly larger than pipe diameter.

We then used a hand saw to make a space for hockey stick to hang over the back without lid sticking up. Easy and now I have great filtration over entire tank.

Fish are loving it too!

This probably sounds obvious to some but to a non DIYer like myself and wanting to use both filters without ruining my original tank it took some thought (and a helpful husband LOL).

The fish are sure loving it & I feel better knowing there's extra filtration coming from both sides of the tank for them. :lol:

I've got the inlet & outlet pipes in opposite sides to AR850 too but the spray bar runs along the back from the LHS. Have you got the spray bar running along the LHS of the tank rather than the back? :spop: