TANK NUMBERS

BK

Have yet to start in the saltwater field but just like to ask some question re number of tanks people have. I'm thinking of a Clown/Coral tank and maybe a tank for a Reb finned batfish. With my fresh water tanks I have seperate Discus tanks, Angle tanks etc. Do people keep Red sea/Pacific tanks or is it more Coral/Clown tanks verse Puffer/Coral eater tanks.

Need to know as wife says 5 tanks in the house is enough. Migth cut this down to 2 fresh and 1 salt and move the rest in to the sleepout which I'm turnning into a tank room. Don't want to put salt tank out there as way to nice not to show.

dont get a bat fish :-? they are sooo big, biggest fish if seen so far.

most fish are compatable other than predator fish and agressive fish and the fish that are ok together (like clowns/tangs) are usually ok with coral etc.

most people on here will have their display tank as their only saltwater tank with coral, i know some have another one in the garage etc..

If you want to run more then one tank it is worth setting them up so they all use the same water, i.e. both sharing the same sump. This makes life alot easier in the long run, increases you water volume, saves doubling up with equipment like skimmers heaters etc etc, lets you add and remove tanks with out having to cycle.

The other option (as some people here have done) is to use your sump for your non reef safe fish, the down side to this is you have all your equipment and plumbing in there so spoils the look a little, and often people run the sumps lights on the opposite cycle to the main lights, this helps with keeping the PH stable.

That why every one has big tanks. Have wall that looks like it needs something. 12' long. Pet world in Ferry Rd CHCH has Bat fish (Red finned) that looks just great. Black body and red edge on face and fins, have hread they are one of the hardest to keep alive. Won't eat if new fish released in tank can't change from one tank to other but what a fish. I'm more interested in carols so what ever fish can go with them will be fine. Thanks for the responce, what a great site this is.

Yes would have to agree with Layton although that red finned bat fish is very impressive even more so when he was younger. its a bugger that they looses that impressive colour. Hope you make the transition to Salt as its alot more interesting than fresh water in my eyes or maybe im just crazy sitting there for hours looking at what is going to crawl out of the rock next.

Would love to buy Redwood when Bob has had enough.Is much happening out there with breeding salt water life forms or is this just to hard. Hate to think that we are killing the reefs (TNT,poison). I think if you make money out of the ocean you should be putting a bit back. Reef restoreation etc is being under taken in some parts of the Pacific.

I'd say get in line. I'd think lot of people would like to buy Redwood if the opportunity ever came up.

As for breeding salt water fish. No shops in NZ bother. There are only a limited number of species which have been successfully bred in captivity. Captive propagated corals is entirely possible for most species.

Layton

Saltwater tanks can be so expensive, the thought of owning 2 would depress all but the richest of us. 1 big tank however is completely acceptable :) As Suphew said, several tanks from one sump is a way to distribute the cost.

Captive corals are becomming far more popular, with many (including myself) selling coral 'frags' (fragments) for approx $25.00 or trading these for other corals.

Fish are not often bred, and only a limited number of species, often being far more expensive than their wild caught brothers.

Although most probably agree with your sentiments regarding ecology.

Saltwater tanks are a great deal of fun, and after years of keeping freshwater I can't ever imagine going back. Sure its harder, more expensive and more time consuming, but its also far more rewarding.

Good luck to you.

Piemania