Thinking about setting up a marine tank.

Ymir

I am at thinking of setting up a marine tank sometime next year. Now it is time for the Meh question. What is a good sized beginner tank? Not too large, which would require a large budget. I would like to try and get it all properly setup in one hit but not too small, which might limit getting a nice variety of corals.

Once I have an idea of tank size I can work out the costs of getting everything together.

around 4 foot is good, what types of corals are you looking to keep?

Are there any easier to keep corals? Ones that are abit more forgiving if mistakes are made?

I'd like a 120-130L as my ultimate starter tank. something like a 900x400x400 or so (which is 150L but near enough). You are going to spend lots of money on lights. Also, if you can plan for a sump your life will be easier but it's not entirely necessary.

I was thinking about a 900mm long. Would having it higher or wider make much difference? say 900x500x500?

Can anyone recommend a good site that has designs for good marine sumps?

As for lighting. MD or LED?

the higher your tank the more lighting you will need id stick to 450mm for height especially if you use t5s it will mean you can keep more light demanding corals in the future. some good beginner corals are kenya tree, mushrooms, xenia, green star poylps, leathers, even some lps like torch and hammer corals arent too bad for beginners. with regards to fish some are quite hardy likes clowns , cardinals and damsels also chromis you will have to carefully choose fish if you plan to have shrimps or the shrimps may end up as an expensive meal