sad and pissed off

chimera

rabbitfish is dead. got home tonight to find him lying on the bottom. water chemistry is sweet, only thing I can attribute death to is lack of feeding or possibly got overstressed when he got stuck to the powerhead a couple of days ago. he was completely fine after that though and looked sweet this morning. he was eating and swimming around normally.

bugger :cry:

(see, MAF always get you in the end)

They are not disallowed.

siganus sp is on the list.

Depending on which writers you favor there is one genus (Siganus)

These fishes belong in the "Order Perciformes" and "Suborder Acanthuroidei" as members of the "Family Siganidae" (Rabbitfishes) consisting of 1 genus, and 27 species.

There are not many members to this family, but the few of interest in the genus Siganus, previously Lo, are longtime aquarist favorites.

Species Name: Siganus vulpinus (Schlegel & Müller, 1844)

Sorry to hear about that dude.

My litle yellow clown goby is looking like he is struggling too. He is eating bugger all and getting skinny.

:cry:

It happens to the best of us.

The suction from the power head would have probably been quite painful I would imagine. It would be similar to being stuck to a bloody jet engine intake.

would $^@* HURT.

James - Interestingly enough my Rabbit Fish died on Sunday. It was feeding and eating on Saturday night, got up in the morning and it was dead floating in its normal sleeping spot.

The real bummer was I had found a home for it in a tank thats about to be moved and its loaded with calurpa. So it was about to go on a feeding frenzy. I was using mine to clear off the calurpa before the rock went into my tank.

Because mine ate Xenia It was never going into the big tank, just going to be a sump fish (740 litre tank!). So in some ways I am not too bothered about it dieing, but I do wish it was still alive.

I was feeding it a lot (by my standards) but probably not as much as it needed. They are supposed to be the least efficient fish in regards to their stomach. They need to eat consistantly to stay healthy, at least thats what i read.

Jane & I really like the rabbit fish, he was 'cool' but that being said I wouldn't consider another one unless I had a massive tank.

At least my bioload has been reduced :(

Pie

Why were they not fed enough more like.

Reefs are full of food. That's why they can support so much life. I have no idea why people feed as little as they do. It actually quietly annoys me. There is very little chance of killing most marine fish from overfeeding. If nutrients is what you worry about, don't. Given enough live rock and an adequate skimmer, the tank will adjust fine.

Just my thoughts.

Layton

Starved to death:Why were these fish taken off the Reef?

The same reason all the other fish were taken off the reef.

Why were they not fed enough more like.

I am not convinced mine wasn't fed enough as I fed it the night before (1 sheet of nori consumed in about 10 seconds, about 5 shrimp pellets). Up until his death I would have described him as healthy and active, but from what i've read it probably did starve, I don't think there is much I could have done to sustain its apetitie.

Still its dead now so don't need to worry about it, it has been going for almost 15 months and was quite large (20cm).

The rest of my fish look healthy and fat and I see no reason to alter my feeding schedule. I would like to get into a situation where I don't have too feed anything at all, or only seed the refugium from time to time.

Piethefishkiller

Yep that was a fat healthy lookin fish, Sometimes they just keel over for no reason- bit like humans really!

That's true. Pies, it wasn't a dig at you, from photos i've seen, all your fish look fat (in a healthy way). But in general, I think a lot of people underfeed. But every tank is different of course.

Layton

Yeah feeding really is a tricky one. NickS was telling me that he suspected his yellow tang died because of underfeeding, but hes not sure.

I don't know if I do underfeed, I judge how much I feed the fish based on the 'look' and behavior of the fishes. I like seeing the tangs grazing, and the other fish foraging. I am lucky that my refugium is well over 1000 litres though and when I move the sump will increase another 300 litres.

When I am doing water changes I always take home seaweed for the fish (esp the rabbit fish) which them love.

Pie

Some fish aren't suited to tank life, low chance of survival.

Fay this debate has raged on this board already. The survival rate or probability of an animal has nothing at all to do with its capture and importation. Copperbands, Moorish Idols, Red Finned Batfish, Leapord Wrassee, scooter blenny etc etc etc.

It would probably be more accurate to say few if any fish are suited to tank life, and anything that comes home with us (the fishkeeper in general) has a low chance of survival.

Try and think of it like this, ultimatly they are only fish which we pull out of the ocean by the hundered of ton and let sufficate on the decks of boats, so a coupple of mandarins isn't going to make to much of a difference. ITs just the ones we pull out with nets are ugly by comparison.

Pie