Progress and some more questions

emmad

Had the day of yesterday due to some sad reasons and needed to keep busy in parts so dug out the middle of the proposed pond. So now have a ledge all round the edge that is about 25cm deep and a rectangle in the middle that goes to approx 50cm deep. Put the liner in and water.

With the water if I leave it for a few days before adding plants do I need to use a conditioner or dechlorinate in some way or will it be okay? I've been offered some free snails and wondered if this was a good idea or not? Also have an offer of some fish so that's good (goldfish though don't know what variety). Going to go to World of Water in Hamilton during lunch today to look at plants (also needing to find a creek/river where I can get some oxygen weed).

In the weekend we are going to Te Aroha where we think is a stream that has rocks. Want to find some to make a fountain. Planning on getting one of the solar pumps off trademe. Given that these only seem to go during the day will that be enough with plants to oxygenate the water?

Hadn't planned on getting a filter at this stage as no power option for the pond. Apart from the plants is there anything else I can do to help with water clarity without a filter?

You should be fine if you let water sit for a while, it will probably still contain chlorine; but not as much.

If you want snails take them, you'll probably get them in your plants anyway. There's no problem with snails, they eat decomposing plants and help keep algae in line.

It depends on how much circulation you have in the pond. Little circulation=little oxygen, more circulation=more oxygen.

I think it's called barley straw, and that can help keep algae out. Also water changes will helps.

HTH

To be honest, I don't use chlorine remover that often in my 200L. Only if it's more than 50%. Can you work out roughly how many liters it'd be? I don't think many pond keepers do water changes on them. But because you want to see the fish, you may want to. You can get a pond water changer and it hooks up to your hose. You shouldn't need too, depending on how concentrated the chlorine is, and how much you changing.

In conclusion, small water changes+little chlorine in water=no problem :thup: :D

Hippuris Vulgaris common mare's tail.

Rotala Macrandra red rotala. May get eaten by the goldfish :wink:

Myriophyllum propinquum parrot's feather, water milfoil. An oxygen weed that needs to be grown on the surface, or round the edges. Myriophyllum aquaticum is banned here and often referred to by the same common names.

bacopa lenagera Hairy water hyssop. A large leaved oxygenating plant with light green leaves and yellow veins showing within the leaves. Plants will grow long when submerged but mat forming on the surface with tiny purple flowers.

Various bacopa sp are available and often sold as nursery plants. One of the most well known of the Bacopa sp is commonly called Baby Tears

gratiola sexdentata A wetland plant on the edge of lakes and swamps. As a pond plant it will grow half a metre tall.

I collect oxygen weed from the local water ways, making sure it is from fast flowing areas so less algae on it and less unwanted critters hitching a ride. Goldfish eat a lot of plants so getting free ones is easier on the pocket. They do not eat lilies.

• 4 weeks later...