Locusts heat/light 24/7.... fertility consistent with growth

henward

I have never tried it but got suggested this.

I bought 1cm locusts and just in 2 weeks, they are almost adults, i expect all of them to be adults by mid week to end of week.

I feed them 2 times a day, heat/light on 24/7. The growth is extremely fast!!

will it affect fertility or will fertility be as fast as their growth?

they should start mating by the weekend or next week at this rate.....

any feedback?

I had lots of them lay eggs in winter - hasnt hatched yet i know eggs can be dorman for up to 3 months, so i stll have another month or so to go but i just wanted to maek sure i have a supply this coming summer of hundreds of locusts. so these guys i will get to breed also.

feedback welcome

ive been running mine 24/7 for years now with no problems, adults, babies, all sizes.

just make sure your temp doesnt go above about 38c for your eggs.

also make sure they get some water, wet grass is good, because the 24 hour heat/light dries the air out heaps.

the main affect this fast life seems to have is shortening it a bit. my adults live for about one month, compared to up to 6 months outside in the cold (where they could only feed for as little as one hour a week when the sun hit, in early winter)

cool

i have a 100w bulb on 24/7 in there right now, another batch hatched today.

i can see the egg casings on the dirt, more and more by the day.

so hopefully i will end up with several hundred.

Dragonz/ just pump the heat up, make sure soil is moist but not wet, but getting soil initially wet is fine too and maintaining that moisture, in nature, it downpours and eggs get very wet.

interesting too, after some reasearch,

locusts fed on grass (assorted species) naturally contain aastaxanthin !! females with eggs have extra beta carotene!

try propagating sand,moistened a bit and use removable see through coffee cups etc in a little cut out flush with the ground,remove ,cover with glapwrap and a rubberband.replace with fresh cups and sand on 3 day cycle .incubate and when they hatch put in the rearing tank and remove the cover or just rip a few holes in it.I found if the sizes were segregated they did better.Watch your breathing around them too,even wear a dust mask as they can give bad allergic reactions and make you crook.thats why I gave up doing them in the end was like having the flu fulltime.