Has Anyone Ever???

Bruce

Has Anyone Ever Bred Apple Snails?

Ours have laid a nice clutch of eggs in one of my tanks this afternoon :o

My question is

What Next, do I leave them where they are, I know that they will drown if they are put into water at this stage.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

/Bruce

Just leave them there Bruce. Providing there is adequate humidity (as provided by the standard cover on the tank (or any where in your fishroom from memory)) they should hatch out fine. After an incubation time the material the eggs/baby snails are contained in will start to disintergrate and the baby snails will fall back into the tank.

From memory the incubation time is about a month - but don't quote me on that.

• 2 years later...

Hi, we are breeding brown apple snails for organism (a shop here in CHCH) we have about 10 adults they gave us to try them with, and two months later we have about 100 babies.

they have laid thousands of eggs, but not all of them hatch. although I have spent alot of time trying to puzzle out why some hatch and some dont. it seems completely random. splash zones, humid zones, dry zones all seem to hatch at random.

Usually if eggs havent hatched after six weeks I break them off and throw them back into the tank to return the calcium to the apple snails, who eat them once they sink.

the apple snails will live happily in any tank where they are not picked on by fish, and the only thing they particuarly need is calcium, so I try to ensure there is a turtle block in with them. (they will eat it)

Apple snails are a handy warning indicator for tanks, if the water quality deteriorates (eg ammonia spike) they will leave the tank, as I found out when I had to move the adults out of my fish growout tank due to attacks, and put them temporarily in an uncycled twofoot and forgot them. two days later they were all hibernating on the top of the tank or on the table.