What will my mbuna crossbred with?

Rob2904

Hi, I have done a little bit of reading on the net about crossbreding between diferent mbuna. I have some Demasoni in with Cynotilapia Afra, Labidochromis caeruleus and Iodotropheus sprengerae. They are all quite young right now but they are all just starting to show off and do the mating dance they do. So far only with their own species but I am worried they may jump over and have a crack with other species. And the last thing I want is a tank full of hybrids!! Anyone know anything about this?

All mbuna will cross - if you plan on breeding and selling and want to know your producing pure fry setup species tanks or tanks where you can have 2 different groups that are less likely to cross in them (ie peacocks and mbuna).

What is likely to cross in your tank depends on so many things, tank layout, age/dominace of fish, ratio of sexes and the biggest one luck and how you hold your tongue on the day and what way the wind is blowing.

Your Dems should breed true, but dem males may have a crack at the Afra females, the rusties and Afra are both zebras so will do as they please with each others girls. Rusties are probably the most likely to have a crack with the yellow females.

Good luck!

Why do mbuna not crossbred in the wild? or do they?

The various species are separated by features like rocky outcrops or large stretches of open water patrolled by haps which they wont cross.. Many of the species have evolved from other species over millions of years - yes they used to be the same fish but they are now scientifically described as different species so they are different. It is a very interesting thing to start researching and learning about there is plenty of info on google or on cichlid-forum.

Just for comparison this is the lake http://www.questconnect.org/images/malawi_map.gif as you can see it is huge, some of these fish will exist in only one place sometimes only a few hundred square meters in size, so there is plenty of room for them to exist without ever seeing each other.