Second hand filter

RoninBoxers

I have just aquired a second hand filter with a tank I bought. Ultimately I would prefer all new filters, but I am not one to let things go to waste. I would like to know what steps to take to prepare it for use and basically sterilize it.

Its a huge Ehiem filter that sits in the tank stand. Still trying to find a model number on it.

Also a little advice on installing it would be cool since I dont have instructions (and I'm very much a read-the-instrauctions kinda girl.

Thanks in advance!!

To sterilize I'd just fill the sink up with water, pour in a cup or two of bleach, let the filter run that for a few minutes, take the filter apart, give it a good rinse then run it on fresh water for a few minutes. I'd say running boiling water through it would be a really, really bad idea.

I agree with Ira, or you could use Potassium Permanganate. Bleach is a bit harder to get rid of. Use a dilution of 1:19 bleach/water will be sweet. Shae, she's asked for instructions because she doesn't know how to install it, and as she said prefers instructions. I'm the same. If it's like normal cannister filters you have the intake and outflow positioned where you want them in the tank. Then you'll likely need to prime it by sucking on the intake then attaching it to the filter, this is a bit tricky and you might get some water squirting out. Then you switch it on and it should go. Hope this helps.

NEVER NEVER NEVER use boiling water near plastics unless your insurances are up to date.

The temperature does strange things to plastic and you are liable to get an original looking type of filter.

Why don't you take it down to "DECO PETS"

I'm sure they'll give you all the info you want or need.

We can't see it, can't even know what shape it is.

But we do know it is an Eheim, so I guess that's a help.

If you dont want to go to D P's then put up some pics of the machine, then I'm sure you'll get more informed help.

Alan 104

Hi All!

Yes, sorry about the very vague description!! After quite a bit more inspection and surfing, I believe it is a 2213.

I figured these would be some stupid questions to ask, but I've never seen one of these in use before and really wasn't sure where to stick all the pipes. The sites on the net tell you where to buy, how much & thats it!

I'm guessing that it has one with water going in and one out of the tank? Just below the waterline? The people I got it from said I need to fill it with water before turning it on. Do I do that by sticking the hose on the tap?

Any help welcome, thanks for taking the time to reply!

Helene

copied from www.eheim.com

(go to FAQ, there is a question on there with a limk to all the manuals)

2213 FILTER

Included with filter: pump head, filter canister, pressure side hose connection, suction side hose connection, lattice screen, suction pipe, strainer, suction cups with clips, outlet pipe.

A. Model with filter media:

Place bottom lattice screen in position with feet down.

Insert coarse filter pad.

Remove filter bag from plastic packaging and rinse thoroughly under running water. Then press loosely into filter canister

Apply filter wool (EHFISYNTH).

Place top lattice screen in position with feet up.

B. Empty model:

Fill with EHEIM filter media per above description. Use EHFIMECH, and EHFIFIX or a filter pad as a coarse filter layer. When using for the first time, it is advisable to filter with carbon (EHFIKARBON or EHFIDRAFIN) for the first few weeks. Then carbon should be removed. Later, according to choice, filtering can be carried out with either chemical or biological EHEIM filter media.

Moisten o-ring and fit on to base of pump head. Attach pump head and close clips.

Place filter beneath aquarium - must be beneath water level. Fit outlet pipe.

Assemble suction pipe and strainer and attach to wall of aquarium with 2 suction cups and establish hose connections to filter: suction side on bottom intake nozzle, pressure side on pump head. Fasten hoses with clamping nut.

Starting up: With the EHEIM suction device (order no. 400354) or by sucking by mouth, suck the water on the pressure side above the edge of the tank. This will start a siphon. When canister is completely full of water connect pressure hose to outlet pipe and switch on filter by plugging in power plug. After a short while there will be a full flow of water through the hose without any air bubbles. (Be aware that the vibrating noise in the pump, occurring for the first seconds of operation, is normal).

Maintenance and routine repairs: Pull out power plug. Release locking mechanism on pump head and remove pump parts carefully. Lift out cooling channel insert with a screwdriver. Clean all parts and then reassemble in the reverse sequence.

Attention: The shafts in the bearing body and the superimposed pump-impeller vane must be able to rotate freely, so that the pump starts up without trouble. If necessary, the locking device of the pump head cover can be released with the aid of a screwdriver.

Important safeguards

Warning: To guard against injury, basic safety precautions should be observed, including the following.

READ AND FOLLOW ALL SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING THIS APPLIANCE

2. DANGER - To avoid possible electric shock, special care should be taken since water is employed in the use of aquarium equipment. For each of the following situations, do not attempt repairs yourself; return the appliance to an authorized service facility for service or discard the appliance.

If the appliance falls into the water, DONT’ REACH FOR IT! First unplug it and then retrieve it. If electrical components of the appliance get wet, unplug the appliance immediately (non-immersible equipment only).

If the appliance shows any sign of abnormal water leakage, immediately unplug it from the power source (immersible equipment only).

Carefully examine the appliance after installation. It should not be plugged in if there is water on parts not intended to be wet.

Do not operate any appliance if it has a damaged cord or plug, if it is malfunctioning or it is dropped or damaged in any manner.

To avoid the possibility of the appliance plug or receptacle from getting wet, position aquarium stand and tank to one side of wall mounted receptacle to prevent water from dripping onto the receptacle or plug.

If the plug or receptacle does get wet, DON’T UNPLUG THE CORD. Disconnect the fuse or circuit breaker that supplies power to the appliance. Then unplug and examine for presence of water in the receptacle.

3. Close supervision is necessary when any appliance is used by or near children

4. To avoid injury, do not contact moving parts or hot parts such as heaters, reflectors, lamp bulbs, etc.

Always unplug an appliance from an outlet when not in use, before putting on or taking off parts, and before cleaning. Never yank cord to pull plug from outlet. Grasp the plug and pull to disconnect.

Do not use an appliance for other than intended use. The use of attachments not recommended or sold by the appliance manufacturer may cause an unsafe condition.

Do not install or store the appliance where it will be exposed to the weather or to temperatures below freezing.

Make sure an appliance mounted on a tank is securely installed before operating it.

Read and observe all the important notices on the appliance.

If an extension cord is necessary, a cord with a proper rating should be used. A cord rated for less watts than the appliance rating may overheat.

Care should be taken to arrange the cord so that it will not be tripped over or pulled.