Light hood mod - t4 lighting?

sarahny

Hey guys, not sure if there's a topic on this already. Apologies and please point me in the direction if there is!

I just got a Juwel Rekord 600 and the single 15W light in there sucks. I've been scouring the net for info on modding the hood to fit another light fixture in there. A lot of people have used starter unit kits and clipped in the tube to a reflector they attached to the hood. I can't find these starter unit kits anywhere (I lie, I found somewhere selling it online in NZ for around 100bucks). Anyway a few hardware places have these:

http://www.nzlightingltd.co.nz/shop/Interior+Light+Fittings/Kitchen+Lighting+and+Strip+Lighting/Linkable+Fluorescent+Lighting.html

and

http://www.nzlightingltd.co.nz/shop/Interior+Light+Fittings/Kitchen+Lighting+and+Strip+Lighting/T5++Fluorescent+Strip+Lighting.html

When I checked them out at the store they are small and light enough to just stick onto the inside of the hood with double sided foam tape. Does anyone have any experience with T4 bulbs? The 16W bulb comes in 6400K daylight so I think it will work for plants? I would rather use T4 over T5 because it's much smaller. The T4 will definitely fit, the T5 13W not so sure if it will fit lengthwise. Affordable and easy to set up too, just have to purchase connector cord for it.

If you guys have any other ideas please let me know. I don't want to buy another lighting unit at this point.

I don't think I've ever heard of T4s being used for anything but display cabinets and similar. Definitely not general lighting or anything.

Yes that's what they are meant for...but will a 6400k T4 bulb work just as well as a T5? what is the difference apart from size?

led could be a good bet or the aquarium kits with external ballasts i think they are t8 and made by arcadia

Yes I found the extrnal ballast Arcadia kit but a bit out ofmy price range. Seeing if there were any alternatives. Thanks though.

If standard T8's from the shop are good enough to grow plants, I don't see why the T4 wouldn't be. Just try it and see what happens :D

That's what I also assumed. I'm not so savvy in the DIY area so I was just wondering if anyone else had tried it. I did find a thread on here from 2005 of someone using 2xT4's so I might try it out too. Thanks!