Cran's bullies spawning (New fry 11/12/11)

blueether

Thankyou for that.

Update 6/11/11 (21 days from spawn):

today there are free swimming fry :happy2: , well there are fry that bounce off the bottom a few mm then sit there for a while

It is quite interesting that some of the fry are now free swimming while others of the same spawn are still in the egg shell. Do they need the help of dad to free them?

As said above, some brilliant photos of the new additions!

I fear I may have killed many of the eggs as some have started to go cloudy and there is less movement in the others :tears:

I guess this is why they throw so many eggs out, better chance of some of them surviving... safety in numbers and all that jazz.

Good luck with the survivors feeding and getting them bigger!

Thanks for updates :)

Update 10/11/11:

I think the eggs need to stay with dad untill hatching...

I have had to get rid of about 1/2 - 2/3 the eggs at a guess as they had died. It looks like over 1/2 of the first spawn hatched and a few of the second did as well, but most of the second spawn have died.

A few of the fry have died and a few more look deformed/bent... too long in the eggs not able to get out with out dad?

At a guess I would say that there is about 20 or so good looking fry free swimming, some very well.

Update 13/11/11:

As of last night there are 25 fry still alive, and I guess I lost about that many in the last week. They seem like hard little critters to keep alive.

Also as of last night the male Cran's bully is guarding another clutch of eggs, and is today trying to entice yet another female in to his man cave.

[Edit] Photos of them spawning (sorry about the distortion, photographed at ~50+ deg through 10mm of glass):

DSC_8672.JPG

DSC_8674.JPG

DSC_8676.JPG

DSC_8686.JPG

DSC_8687.JPG

DSC_8688.JPG

[Edit 2] A pic of the second spawn that only a very few hatched from, most died without dad looking after them:

DSC_8667.JPG

Also as of last night the male Cran's bully is guarding another clutch of eggs, and is today trying to entice yet another female in to his man cave.

Sheesh... you have a busy boy there!

What are you going to do when you end up with a couple of dozen happy healthy bullies?

Is it a man cave if there is no tools or entertainment? I can't see the tool racks or TV screens in the photos :rotf:

Sheesh... you have a busy boy there!

Four spawns in four weeks is not too bad

What are you going to do when you end up with a couple of dozen happy healthy bullies?

I hope I get that many, I'm finding it hard to keep them alive :tears:

I'm hoping that these net two spawns have a better survival rate than the first two.

If I get too many I know someone that wants a few, and I could always try trademe or the LFS

Is it a man cave if there is no tools or entertainment? I can't see the tool racks or TV screens in the photos :rotf:
Plenty of entertainment, just a lack of tools ;)

They'll be feeding on 60-100micron zooplankton, which is bloody small :( I bred redfin bullies, and couldn't bring any of the fry to adult hood due to lack of food.

I tried using green water, which had all sorts in it, micro algae's, tiny zoo plankton but to no success. Commonly the fry will travel out to sea for a short period of time, feeding, before then returning back into the tributaries. However, Crans and Commans are known to reproduce, successfully in ponds, so do not necessarily need to feed on whatever it is they're feeding on at sea.

Try collecting pond water, culturing it in a larger container and placing eggs in that, probably your best bet!

• 4 weeks later...

By the 20th November none of the first fry that hatched were still alive :(

Update 11/12/2011:

Today I decided to change the tank stand to one I had made in the last few week so firstly caught the two bullies that were looking after eggs and placed then in a ~7l plastic bin with their rocks, then proceeded to empty the main tank out so I could move it. Some time later while awaiting a helping hand to move the tank I noticed that the next spawn had hatched :happy1: fantastic timing, I new they were nearing as it's been 3 weeks since the spawn. The two dads are still in there with the rest of the eggs and I have placed some pond weed in there for the fry to hide in, but the two dads look to be well behaved and aren't even looking at the fry.

Here's hopping for better success than the last hatching.