Red worms sticking out of anus

Trilobite

I've just noticed small red wormy things sticking out of the anus of one of my fish.

I couldnt get a photo so I drew one of what he looks like...

worm.jpg?t=1318402801

They even move... :sick:

Any idea of what these are and how to kill them?

So far I've only given him salt :nilly:

BAH!! Run and hide its horrible.. It is called camalnaus and is a horrible worm, it will be affected all your fish and all your tanks even if it hasn't got bad enough to show on all of them..

The good thing is that it can be treated, buy some aviverm (levamisole HCL - birdwormer) from anywhere that sells bird stuff or even offline. And read this http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/levamisole-hydrochloride-1

Make sure you follow all the instructions regarding the dosage (1ml/115L) and water change/treatment regime the levamisole will only kill the worms and not the eggs.

Argh they dont sound good!! :o

I'll be off to get some aviverm tomorrow and annihilate them from all my tanks...I'm pretty sure I mixed their water and I always use the same net...after googling camalnaus I learnt that even not washing your hands when you fiddle round in each tank is enough to spread them.

Thank you so much for your help :bow:

Do you think theres a good chance of the guy in the picture surviving? apart from having clamped fins and sometimes trouble staying horizontal in the water, he still behaves normaly, flaring and looking for food scraps

the vet also sells ARREST C wormer which contains all to kill these worms. 1 ltr max $70. Prozi is also very cheap at vets i got about 2.5 ltres $50 but usually that amount is $90 maybe. Which is still better the $25 for 25mls aprox for prozi at other out lets.

Prazi wont work for camalnaus, every time I have tried to buy it in liquid form (adtape) it has been very expensive at vets over $100 a L from memory but it has been a long time since I tried..

I have some arrest C at home and haven't had much luck with any fish living after being treated with it, what dosage rate do you use Burn?

I believe the picture of the fish that you have put up isn't look too good already, I can't even identify what type it is it almost looks like it has been drawn on paint.. But the fish can survive ater being badly affected, usually when it gets as bad as pictured it is usual to expect some sort of long lasting damage to the internal organs of the fish as it is usually totally filled with worms by then.

Prazi wont work for camalnaus, every time I have tried to buy it in liquid form (adtape) it has been very expensive at vets over $100 a L from memory but it has been a long time since I tried..

I have some arrest C at home and haven't had much luck with any fish living after being treated with it, what dosage rate do you use Burn?

I believe the picture of the fish that you have put up isn't look too good already, I can't even identify what type it is it almost looks like it has been drawn on paint.. But the fish can survive ater being badly affected, usually when it gets as bad as pictured it is usual to expect some sort of long lasting damage to the internal organs of the fish as it is usually totally filled with worms by then.

I over dosed with Arest C 5mils - 25 ltres first time but was all still good but took a few water changes and snails were dying 2 weeks later but now use the same as adtape 5mls - 80 ltres aprox as was written on an old bottle I brought froma fish shop years ago of prazi. For Prazi (abtape) i only paid $50- 2.5 ltres but is usually aprox $90. lucky me I guess.

yep def calamanus . I had a run in with these when I first started the hobby.

aviverm (containing levamisole) was very affective and dealt with the problem.

Good luck, be vigilant with the water changes and re-dosing, lot of work but it's worth the effort to be rid of these nasty things.

Out of interest, are the infected fish live bearers?

yep def calamanus . I had a run in with these when I first started the hobby.

aviverm (containing levamisole) was very affective and dealt with the problem.

Good luck, be vigilant with the water changes and re-dosing, lot of work but it's worth the effort to be rid of these nasty things.

Out of interest, are the infected fish live bearers?

Yeah you need to treat it right and make sure you keep retreating the last thing you want to do is knock them back give them a half dose and let them come back again.. You will be amazed at the difference in your fish a day or 2 after treatment but make sure you do a second dose (think article recommends a 3rd as well but have a read).

I think the affected fish looks like a fighter maybe? The affected area is towards the front (if the drawing is correct) so doesn't look like a live bearer. Although all fish can be hit with calamanus live bearers and angels are very commonly affected by it.

Duh obviously a fighter haha, the resemblance to a real betta is uncanny.

I picked up the aviverm today and gave all the tanks some except for my breeding tank because it has 4 day old fry in it and I'm too scared to add things to their water. Are these worms able to use tiny fry as their hosts?

I'm feeling optimistic now after hearing that results can be seen after 2 days, I'll remain vigilant and complete the full dosage :D

I'll be lucky if the guy in my picture makes it...they managed to poke out in new places in the course of a day...