help to identify kokopu

nativelover

nativelover sent me the photos. I would try to put them up but my computer is obscenely slow today (and I am procrastinating enough as it is!)

Ok, these two are definitely a lot different to the other fish in the photos! However that is because the anomaly fish are ACTUALLY the banded kokopu, whereas the other fish are inanga :)

This is actually an ideal situation. That many kokopu of any sort would quickly turn to carnage as the fish get bigger and start fighting. Two bandeds that size alone in a tank that size would look pretty sparse, but with the inanga there it it padded out nicely at the moment, then as the shorter-lived inanga die off (1-3 years, some could last longer) they then make room for the increasingly chunky bandeds.

In a year or so the kokopu will have the thick dense body that typifies kokopu, and they will probably also start fighting. Hopefully being a similar age they will remain a similar size and not be unfairly matched, allowing you to keep them together. It is good when they are fighting to have lots of caves for them to hide in as well as partial barriers up through the water column, such as bits of driftwood. This makes it easier for fish to get away. (Imagine a bully chasing you around a tennis court with and without the net up. The bully can still see you when the net is up, but you can get away easier.)