Salvaged ballasts, how can I use them?

CodKing

img1236vj.jpg

img1239vt.jpg

I can put my hands on about 12 of these, complete with fittings, starters and capacitors.

I've got three things I need help with,

1, A 48 inch bulb is too long for my setup, I've seen bulbs wired in series. Good idea?

2, Never seen a capacitor on a light setup before. I'm assuming the size of the original unit may have something to do with it. (12x48" T5)

3, The balast only has 2 terminals coming out of it. I will have another look at the main unit today and see if there are some more clues as to how it works but I'm sure someone here could tell me.

Hopefully I've stuck a little goldmine, gotta love earthquake salvage!

Thanks for having a look.

That would be awesome.

I've brought one section still relatively intact home with me and will inspect it this evening. Initial look tells me there are some little tricks where the main line comes in.

Managed to also get two 4ft lengths of the fixture and the reflectors :)

theres a few different ways of hooking them up especially with magnetic ballasts like you have , the capacitor is to change the power factor to make the tubes run efficiently otherwise they will draw more power than what they need too. you were right about bulbs being connected in series to a certain degree sometimes tubes use a single ballast to run both ( although im not sure if they are connected in series or parallel )

it would normally state on the ballast most of the combinations its capable of being set up with ie 1x40w, A, pwerfactor

2x20w,A.power factor

yours only states one and while it may be capable of being used in a different configuration its probaby not worth it as you would need to figure out the power factor and get a capacitor to suit and thats some good mathematics in itself i wish i could help ya more but i cant rmember enough about it to feel comfortable helping you out

I don't know how to put up a diagram on here but I have wired up a few of these. What I have always done is put the output wire from the ballast on one pin on the tube and neutral on the pin on the other end, then put the starter in a loop to the other two pins. Make sure the tube wattage is the same as the ballast and put the switch on the phase wire to the ballast. I always earth the ballast as well. Hope that makes sense.

I don't know how to put up a diagram on here but I have wired up a few of these. What I have always done is put the output wire from the ballast on one pin on the tube and neutral on the pin on the other end, then put the starter in a loop to the other two pins. Make sure the tube wattage is the same as the ballast and put the switch on the phase wire to the ballast. I always earth the ballast as well. Hope that makes sense.

I think that kind of sounds like the diagram I put up earlier yeah?

No rush Smurf, thanks for looking into it!