Red worms in gravel??

rnbo

Hi I'm new here and to aquarium keeping, hope someone can tell me whether this is a problem or just part of furniture.... I have just cleaned gravel in tank (tropical) with a siphon thingy and noticed that several thin red worms were sucked up along with the gunk. Fish are in great health(no worms hanging out anywhere). :o

I had something similar in one of our old tanks, they were not bloodworm's as when I investigated closely the worm is red over most of the body but one end is greenish, I suspect they were some kind of parasite but never did find out.

I now find myself watching for them in the new tanks and have some remedies on hand should they appear.

The setup is 100L tank with a Ehiem 2213 external filter, aerated.

Have 3 yoyo loach, 10 cherry barbs, 2 angels and a bristlenose at moment in well planted set, drftwood x 1, schist rockx3. Did have quite a few sm snails but loaches have dealt to them!

Water quality tests pH, ammonia, 'trate and 'trite are all good as of this morning. Hollywoods suggested that gravel was very dirty :oops: and to clean it once a week until worms gone.

Any other ideas??

Do I need to treat and what with??

Cheers

I have a little cure ex that I am holding onto for this purpose, apparently it needs to be re classified or licensed under animal remedies but I have used this in the past and it works a treat.

You could try the gravel cleaning but I suspect that will only limit the population not annihilate it.

rnbo, i have noticed the same thing in my tank a couple of times. I have no idea what these worms were or their origins, but i have not worried about them and they have not worried about me.

my fish have not had any symptoms of parasites, nor have i noticed anything unusual about my tank, so i left them alone.

FG