How to catch nervous fish?

GZ_Loach

I need to catch 4 clown loaches and its near impossible trying to net them as they spend most of their time in a small tunnel in my rock background or in cave :nilly:

Any ideas on how to catch them? I can't scare them out of the tunnel and its not very easy to get to

lol, I was going to advise you to strip the tank, but if they're hiding in the background... :facepalm:

(I think they know where the safe house is.) :lol:

If you're really desperate and baiting them doesn't work, you could always try to scare them out of the cave by prodding the entrance gently with the net, sometimes they freak out and swim frantically around the tank (at which point you need to be one step ahead). Not ideal, but hey, they chose the hard road.

you could put a prawn in a big juice bottle and wait for them to go inside it?

This is how I catch my shy fish. Big glass jar and some food. Helps if you stack rocks/wood around outside and to the back of it so they think its a nice safe place to hide. Once they are in, cover the opening and take all the rocks off. This also works for fast schooling fish that try and hide from the net ;)

Leave the nets in there and hope you catch them just keep an eye on it and hopefully they are used to and sitting in the net when you walk past..

You can also catch fish at night so go in there with minimal light while the fish are asleep (the loaches might be out and about then). Failing that strip the tank down and get 2 nets (at least one that is fairly big) and catch them that way.