new tank with lots of fish please help

liza77

Thank you for your advice!

Should we continue with water chages and is it worth adding TLC start smart??

I feed pleco with his tabs but it seems all fish like it too :-?

Yeah, he'll still be getting some when you're not looking :)

It may be too late for startsmart. I'd use Seachem Prime and daily 5L water changes to reduce the harm caused by the nitrite to the fish.

Smart Start can still be use to reboost the bacteria growth, esp after medication, cleaning of filters where good bacteria are lost in the process. TLC optimizer may be the other option for mantaining. Did some research on them and found them very, very good indeed. For example, smart smart is 5 times more efficient than other brands. I'll be trying out their products to see how good they are, esp the optimizer. First, got to find the most populated tank, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

We lost one fish :(

we got rid of nitrite and nitrate but now we have ammonia! is it in cycle?

We have 280 L tank and we have 40 fish at the moment. Can we cycle the tank with so many fish???

Should i change water everyday?

Ammonia is bad means the tank isn't cycled or is going through a mini cycle..

You can cycle your tank with that many fish, but you will need to be monitoring things and changing water to keep that ammonia right down (but you do need to leave some to allow the bacteria to build up).

I think your best bet would be to get someone local with a tank setup and get some cycled media to get yours going.

Thank you for your advise!

I would love to get bacteria from somebody but i dont know anybody with a fish tank :(

What do i need to do to cycle it????

Ammonia is bad means the tank isn't cycled or is going through a mini cycle..

You can cycle your tank with that many fish, but you will need to be monitoring things and changing water to keep that ammonia right down (but you do need to leave some to allow the bacteria to build up).

I think your best bet would be to get someone local with a tank setup and get some cycled media to get yours going.

She lives in blockhouse bay in Auckland - she posted it earlier, just wondering if we have any club or forum members close? Of course there will be plenty of fish keepers at the next club meeting in Waterview on Tues the 13th of September if you wanted to come along and say hi Liza77 :)

Hi Ryan

Thank you for your message. I will try to get to the meeting :)

We are going away for 6 day next week and i need to do something before we go away

She lives in blockhouse bay in Auckland - she posted it earlier, just wondering if we have any club or forum members close? Of course there will be plenty of fish keepers at the next club meeting in Waterview on Tues the 13th of September if you wanted to come along and say hi Liza77 :)

That would be great if you can do this :)

please email me your phone number and my husband can even come to your place to pick up the media. i will try to email you privately

I'm not far from there and it'd give me an excuse to take the dogs to Craig Avon Park, I'm happy to drop some live media off if you want to send me your address and a time that suits via PM.

• 3 weeks later...