Ideas to get rid of snails?

mcmillanm

Thanks for ideas. I've just got 3 cute little chain loaches to hopefully get rid of the baby snails & am trialing a home made snail trap (with so far limited success).

Am loathe to use snail rid as I don't think my corys or loaches now will like it and I don't have a spare tank.

Has anyone used snail rid successfully without killing any fish?

Cheers.

Just reading a bottle of snail rid. Seems it is not as simple as putting it in and hey presto.

First thing it says "DO NOT use in aquariums with soft water"

Further down ...."This product is toxic to fish in soft water, and incorrect use can lead to fatalities"

Must work, but still dodgy.

Does anyone know if it's possible to neutralise copper?

I like the bleach idea, as seems it can be neutralised with white vinegar and or a dechorinator.

Since my frog tanks are empty, have snails, and I needed to strip them down anyway.

Thought id try the bleach first.

Tank: 35L water - with about 30L sand substrate - drift wood and xmas moss.added airstone to circulate bleach, put heater in, got to about 26C.

Day 1: 15ml bleach put strainght into tank.

Some snails curled over almost immediately, within 30mins the rest of the snails either dead or immobile but not dead.

Also noticed a couple of planaria on the glass shrivel up ad die within seconds .. guilty . . I may have squirted bleach directly on them :lol:

Day 2: notice at least 3 snails still alive. :evil:

Another 15ml bleach goes in.

Nice white foam on water surface.

Day 3: Water a bit murky. Good number of dead snails on substrate. Still found a couple of snails alive. Didnt look flash but dam theyre robust.

Gave up, and just stripped tank down. Mainly because water was going white, and thought it may damage the silicon :dunno:

So yeah probably not worth the time of day. but may be dosage wasnt enough, xmas moss seems to have survived.