best sump components

s3xtcy

Hello again, im wanting to find out what hardware people use in their sumps, eg protein skimmer, return pump, calcium reactor uv filter, etc and also what sort of other things they have on there, dsb's, etc.

My Lfs has told me to get rhe biggest eheim pump i can get which is about 38 litres per min, but its also super silent. And the skimmer they reccommended was a Octopus NW150.

The tank is a 450 litre marine with a 100-150 litre sump.

After peoples reccommendations please!

Thanks!!

Hello again, im wanting to find out what hardware people use in their sumps, eg protein skimmer, return pump, calcium reactor uv filter, etc and also what sort of other things they have on there, dsb's, etc.

My Lfs has told me to get rhe biggest eheim pump i can get which is about 38 litres per min, but its also super silent. And the skimmer they reccommended was a Octopus NW150.

The tank is a 450 litre marine with a 100-150 litre sump.

After peoples reccommendations please!

Thanks!!

I can't remember the eheim model off the top of my head, but it sounds like the one you're thinking of is a pretty common one. Should work well, leaves you with a little bit of extra flow off the return to plumb into running the any skimmer and other gear. I went with a Laguna PJ5000 on mine because it was something like 1/3 the price and twice the flow. I never found pump noise to be noticable, it was far drowned out by the water flowing into the overflow and down into the sump.

the eheim's are great pumps.. pricey, but they last a long time i have a 1060 model for my return pump and love it. as for skimmers there are lots available now so look around, their is more than likely a second hand dnw150 floating around.

Thanks guys, I have found a Eheim pump from this website, is this about what sounds right? it works out to be 40 litres per minute at a 12ft head height!

http://www.aquacave.com/eheim-1260-universal-br-water-pump-1611.html

or for a extra $20 US

http://www.aquacave.com/eheim-1262-universal-br-water-pump-1612.html

Im thinking im going to go for a overflow setup so flow out of the pump is a good thing and dont have to worry about they syphon not keeping up. Ive done some reading and people have got silent overflows! Some form of grass that goes in the overflow chamber to silence the fall of the water. sounds good to me!

Also can you over do the skimmer?

I was reccommended a Reef Octopus NW 150 Protein Skimmer, at about $500 from my LFS, but...

http://www.aquacave.com/reef-octopus-dnw-200-br-recirculatingbr-protein-skimmer-985.html

This is rated for up to 400gal, which is much bigger than what I plan on running. (550 - 600 litres) including tank and sump or should I go for something that matches closer to my tank?

http://www.aquacave.com/reef-octopus-nwb-200-br-needle-wheel-protein--br-skimmer-496.html

Last question for this post.. what size UV filter should I be using?

Cheers!

All fair points, it says that i qualify for free shipping because of the value of the order, but it doesnt say worldwide. But the warranty has me a bit worried, however 7 eheim pumps would have to die before i met the cost of my lfs for the same pump!

All fair points, it says that i qualify for free shipping because of the value of the order, but it doesnt say worldwide. But the warranty has me a bit worried, however 7 eheim pumps would have to die before i met the cost of my lfs for the same pump!

try second hand you can pick up a 1060 for around $80 and they last a life time!