I currently have these fish in my tank.

x3 Juhli Corydora

x3 Panda Corydora

x2 L140 Pleco

x1 L270 Pleco

x5 Cardinal Tetra

x1 Electric Blue ram

x1 Veil Tail blue ram

I have silica sand substrate, and a rock based theme, with a few amazon sword plants.

I only have the juwel filter running, and i am thinking of adding 20 - 30 more cardinals and 2 discus.

Would it be necessary to add an external canister filter. I was thinking a Aqua One 1200 litre external canister filter.

Thanks Fish Forums.

Depending on the size of the plecs, thats most likely fine, I've kept a pretty full cichlid tank going with just the juwel filter (frequent water changes though) but I'd still get an external, more filtration is better at the end of the day

I ripped out my horrible ugly high maintenance Juwel filter in my 120L and replaced it with an fluval 205 and have been smiling ever since, the filter only needs attention once every 6 months and takes less than 5 mins. Also heard that CF1000 are pretty good and cost half the price of a fluval. You also get better water movement with the canister as you can suck from one bottom corner and shoot back in the opposite top corner.

I have this tank,and for the last couple of years it has been very heavily stocked,as it's being used as a bit of a holding tank whilst shed and other tanks get sorted.

I couldnt tell off hand what exactly is in there,but something like 30ish corys,half a dozen plecs,an 8-9in Aequidens,a juvenile Boulengerella maculata,a pair of large Betta editahe,about 8 charax,3 empire gudgeon,possibly more(away on hols at mo).Oh,and 2 large angels.

I run the Juwel internal and a Tetratec EX1200.These 2 get opened and cleaned aprox once a year,water changes are erratic at best,but generally try 1 a week. The reason I am so lax on cleaning regime in this tank is that there is never any health issues or any problems whatsoever.