Stocking ideas for 180gallon

Fruju

Heya guys, I have come to the conclusion that I would like some feature cichlids in my 6ft x 2ft x 2ft tank, the current stocking is: 2 ebjd (one 15cm, one 20cm), flagtail (16cm), bgk (25cmish), ornate bichir (40cm), 3 senegal bichirs (18-23cm). There is also 1 geo brasiliensis, 2 bala sharks and a pink chalceus - but these are most likely temporary residents. I also have a geo jurapari, cuban cichlid, 3 delhezis and 2 palmas buettekoferi growing out to put in the main tank.

My idea is for a primarily medium sized cichlid comm with my bichir collection +flagtail + bgk. The stocking levels at the moment are suitable and nothing looks cramped which is how i prefer it. However, with the removal of the sharks etc I would like maybe 2 more colourful/characterful medium sized cichlids to complete the tank. 20cm is a good size; not too small to be eaten by the ornate, not too big that the tank is overcrowded.

I was thinking perhaps a female festae cichlid and a red severum to contrast with the blue of the ebjds and the bronze/black of the cuban? Although I would like a jaguar cichlid, it would not fit in well with my stock, also no oscars (both get too big).

Ideas?

I think the festae could be hit and miss with your other stock (polys and ebjd), worth a shot but be prepared for the worst. The cuban could be thought of as a mini-jag, again I think you'd be taking a risk adding one with your stock, but a female *might* work (let me know if you want your old one back!).

To me, the EBJD's are smack in the middle between aggressive and placid, could work with more mellow fish like geos or uaru, but could probably hold their own with other slightly more aggressive CA's like the festae or jag. I'd decide on which side of the fence you want to sit on and go from there. I wouldn't recommend keeping the jurupari with a festae or jag long term. Not sure about the cuban either, mine seems to have a real tough-guy attitude, but they might mellow out as they get bigger?

The brasiliensis isn't really a Geophagus (waiting to be reclassified) and would probably be on the more aggressive side of the spectrum.

I wouldn't recommend keeping the jurupari

David would you agree that the fish we have in NZ is Satanoperca leucosticta?

There is a true S. jurupari as well but afaik it's rare and never seen in NZ.

I know it's the same old story of naming things wrong (like G. surinamensis) but I cringe so much it isn't funny every time I see the word jurApari :facepalm:

Im not that much of a fan of the chocolate cichlids, they also get quite large dont they?

My old male festae was fine with many of my other fish, maybe its as a pair they are terrors? Hopefully a lone female would be manageable.

The cuban is with the jurapari right now, they seem to be fine? Are you suggesting the jurapari is not aggressive enough?

Brasiliensis is not staying, I would rather another fish in its place. Its not aggressive at all, its a female I think too.

Uaru is a good idea. I do like the look of them. Are the severums in HFF albany actually Rotkiel? They look good too I think.

Thomas- yeah the jurapari/jurupari we have are S. leucosticta. I'm not an expert on them but I think we only have the one species here. They're more colourful than the real jurupari, so its probably a good thing!

Fraser the jurupari and cuban are still small. Once bigger the cuban will have a much stronger mouth structure designed for lip locking and battling for territory, where as the geo is made for sifting sand and living in a loose social group. They may get on alright, but if not the geo is going to come off second best and will struggle to defend itself. I'd pick either central or south american cichlids for tankmates with the polys and go with either one or the other, but thats not to say a mix can't work.

As highlighted by my recent loss, cichlids are always hit and miss. All you can do is try and hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Again, seems like a strange mix, but could probably work. There's other things to consider too, like water parameters, the geos and uaru will prefer it softer while the cuban and festae etc like it hard (and the bichirs don't seem to care!). You could probably find a happy median and compromise though.

Certainly not as delicate as discus! Can hold their own with many large fish, although I'd be a bit reluctant to mix them with larger CA cichlids like jag or festae, I think they should do alright with small to medium species (water parameters etc aside).

They're one of my favourite species, I've kept them with everything from tetras to big dats and arowanas.

No there seems to be two varieties/populations/forms, one with an orange eye and one with a red eye. The breeding pair I gave to Phil Collis have red eyes and so do the young, of which I have six in my big tank. They're about 8-12cm now, so still plenty of growing to do. Eat like pigs though, just was watching them try to get at some of the geo fry that one of the parents is starting to struggle to hold.

Yeah they can chew on the wood when larger, you can see little scrape marks on it where they have been nibbling on it. Plants are certainly a no-go and black beard algae will never be a problem!

I've had a couple get pretty close to 30cm and quite tall, not a slow growing fish either. Here are pics of mine when I first got them back in November, they were tiny!! Biggest is now more like 15cm, would expect them to be well over 20cm by November this year.

http://fishkeepers.co.nz/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3688&start=0

• 4 weeks later...