Sexing young leopard geckos

Bobyn

need to be more of a community and share info. C'mon guys....what do you say......

i think it is heading that way. must be more reptile keepers now than ever before.

price (and possibly even demand) has slumped so theft risk is minimal.

99% of people who keep and or breed reptiles are good sorts.

:thup:

1% a little :nilly:

i think it is heading that way. must be more reptile keepers now than ever before.

price (and possibly even demand) has slumped so theft risk is minimal.

99% of people who keep and or breed reptiles are good sorts.

:thup:

1% a little :nilly:

Yes I think it is headed in the right direction.

only some of the auctions are sexed so ????? hes not able to sex all of them

Yes we see that. I think people are referring to the auction where he states that the sexing of the leo's is a breeders secret. I think that generally people are tired of the secrecy. People dont want to spend money on something that they are not sure about.

he may know how to sex them . . . here's a couple more auctions to ponder about

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Pets-animals/Reptiles-turtles/Other/auction-383733674.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Pets-animals/Reptiles-turtles/Other/auction-385510712.htm

i imagine size and weight would be more relevant to sexing as oppose to age .. in some cases anyway.

I think it is perfectly understandable that some people wish to keep a few secrets to themselves if they are breeding reptiles on a commercial or semi commercial basis. Some people have invested a lot of money, time and heartache into their reptiles so why would they give away all their breeding secrets to someone who has just come along. It would be nice if people shared info but I can understand why many do not wish to. I have found most breeders to be very helpful once they know you are genuine.

When I was breeding 50000tropical fish/year you would be surprised at the number of people who just want to come around to find out how to do it because they think you are getting rich so they can as well. You would have a better chance of getting rich with a lotto ticket (one in 3.8 million)

I don't know the person selling but they have bred and raised offspring that look healthy so they must know something.

I think it is perfectly understandable that some people wish to keep a few secrets to themselves if they are breeding reptiles on a commercial or semi commercial basis. Some people have invested a lot of money, time and heartache into their reptiles so why would they give away all their breeding secrets to someone who has just come along. It would be nice if people shared info but I can understand why many do not wish to. I have found most breeders to be very helpful once they know you are genuine.

When I was breeding 50000tropical fish/year you would be surprised at the number of people who just want to come around to find out how to do it because they think you are getting rich so they can as well. You would have a better chance of getting rich with a lotto ticket (one in 3.8 million)

I don't know the person selling but they have bred and raised offspring that look healthy so they must know something.

Hey Alan. I agree, his leo's are gorgeous and look very healthy. I understand that you should not give all your secrets away and I am not suggesting that anyone should. I entered this thread on the basis of breeders helping other breeders. I also agree that people think that they can make a quick buck but that is far from reality. There is so much work and dedication involved in breeding quality herps. I dont know the breeder and am not trying to stand against him. You can plainly see that his leo's are healthy and well looked after so I think that buying from him is a good investment. I think that people are just paranoid about buying a leo and being told it is a male and then it turns out not to be (happened to me twice). If the breeder sees this please accept my apologies from one breeder to another. I did not mean to offend anyone :D

If they choose to keep secrets to themselves thats fine, I just personally think a little more openess would encourage more people into the hobby thats all. I am in no way against people keeping info to themselves.

What I do have a problem with is if they are infact lying (not saying they are it just seems that way in my opinion.) then thats not fair on people who were hoping to breed and get into the hobby and in the long run gives others in the hobby a bad name and has a detrimental affect on all of us.

If they do have some way of sexing that none of us know, hey good on them, its completely up to them to share or keep for thamselves. Id rather they shared of course. I just happen to think, and it is purely my own speculation, that they are not being honest about being able to sex at 100% certainty so young.

I have always bought on the basis of an incubation temperature and that can increase the chances of getting a male . I have two males but they were not the ones incubated to get males.

But you knew when buying that it was not certain they would be male. Some people buying off there may not know.

• 2 years later...