Who has bought leopard geckos 3 years ago and cannot breed?

henward

Hi All

i purchased leopard geckos roughly 3 years ago, after 18 months, i started to attempt breeding.

mating is occuring but no eggs are produced.

anyone here have experienced purchasing leopards about that time, and cannot get them to breed?

i have Hans' 2 leopards, im gonna put them in the mix, one of them is definitely a stunted female from hatching. just doesnt grow. the other is growing well so hopefully they can breed.

it is weird.

no eggs are being layed, tail is fat, but not too big, not bigger than their head.

they are mating, i can see ;mating marks, though never witnessed a prolonged mating ritual.

any ideaS?

strange.

and they are big. male is huge, female is just a lil smaller.

should i separate during winter and re introduce, they are currently together.

Perhaps he is trying but not getting it right. It is better to have the males and females seperate. My male will try and mate with the females even when it's not breeding season which is stressful for the females. Try seperating them and see if it helps next breeding season. Perhaps she needs a break from him and may be more receptive when she is ready. During breeding season look for a light pink circle in the middle of the tummy around the size of the eraser on a pencil. This means she is ovulating and hopefully will be happy to accept the males advances after being left in peace, lol!

Many are successful keeping leo's in colonies (me included) but there are those that need their space. Hope it works for you.

I would intro the male into the females cage so that she is in familiar territory. The males hormones should take over sooner or later so unfamiliar territory wont be as much of a problem for him.

I would wait for it to be nice and warm, say late November early December but the best indicator is the pink spot on the tummy.

I wouldn't turn the heaters off completely. I personally dont brumate my leos and have never had a problem with them. They do this in the wild to compensate for a lack of food and cooler temps. I see no reason to do this in captivity. I am sure I will be irritating soome people by saying this but I just dont see the logic in it. Just keep the males away from the females to give them some peace. Let them eat and stay a good weight in preparation for the breeding season. Turn the heat down a few degrees if you want to but dont switch the heat off altogether.

possible answer :sage:

"Females born in the higher temperatures differed from those who were born in the lower temperatures hormonally and behaviorally. Those born in the warmer temperatures expressed more aggressive behavior.[11] These are known as "hot females" and are often determined to be infertile, that is unable to reproduce."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_gecko - under Reproduction.

yes, explored options of hot females.

over incubated females are over agro and sterile.

3 years ago, i purchased them off haisley.

i bought 1, and a friend bought a male.

and hans gave me 2 females to look after indefinitely to try and breed, i havent attempted to breed those yet. hans' ones are about 1 or slightly more younger than my originla 2

yes i explored sterilisation to protect price, but of course, benefit of the doubt, as i expressed explicit interst in establishing a colony for private collection purposes, he told me they are able to breed. i believed him of course, it is impossible to know if it was a lie or not.

i know is that he has sold some specimens to some, and they are breeding fine. hence the later generations are from his ones also.

so i see no reason why he would deceive me at the time, albeit he hates me right now as we have all seen here, at the time, there was no reason for him to lie to me.

then again, $$$ is a good reason for many - im not here to accuse i guess.

but that has crossed my mind.

i will try with the other two plus my ones, again a different method, see if it works.

i had no intention of generating income from them as i knew that lizards drop in price ALWAYS, as we have seen with any other lizard on the market. its only a matter of time, it was for collection purposes.

possible answer :sage:

"Females born in the higher temperatures differed from those who were born in the lower temperatures hormonally and behaviorally. Those born in the warmer temperatures expressed more aggressive behavior.[11] These are known as "hot females" and are often determined to be infertile, that is unable to reproduce."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_gecko - under Reproduction.

It is possible but these females are normally very aggresive. Is she aggressive?

not aggressive at all, none of them are.

it is unlikely it was that reason.

yeah, i dont want to accuse or go down that path, if it is that reason then there is nothing i can do about it.

but i am optimistic.

they were very young when i got them, juvenile patters - maybe 1 week into hatching, thtas what he told me anyways.

yeah, can be accidental, gene pool can be a large factor too.

we can see i guess, ill try next season.

this sunday will separate and ask my mate to bring male here and give him females.

hope they breed, i just want a colony of them lol