Female A. Agassizi?

Foxjxa

This is my second Apisto. Ever. Consider me the newest of newbies when it comes to them.

Just got this girl today, she came in as a female double red agassizi in her own special bag, but she seems too 'red' and my male Agassizi is acting like a right jerk, (flaring at and harassing behaviour), since I put her in the tank, so I'm not so sure. Can anyone please confirm the gender for me?

Apologies in advance about the poor photo quality.

debra1.jpgdebra2.jpg

Here's one of her hiding from the male in my tank, (with a nosey kuhli).

debra3.jpg

Since the last picture she's paled considerably, (no thanks to Mr Agassizi), and is trying to explore the tank while keeping out of sight. Her caudal fin is quite rounded, but then so is the males...

:dunno:

Sorry, those are the best I could manage, I'll try again later tonight.

I'm almost positive she's a she now though, (or maybe a very submissive male with different preferences), as I left for work once she'd found a nice hidey-hole where the male couldn't get to her, now that I'm home they seem to have worked out their issues. She's now following him around for the most part, and he keeps flaring and then scooting next to her, or just turning around to make sure she's still there.

Do the males pick the spawning site and try and coax the female in or what happens there? 'Cos it looks like he's picked out a spot already while she's still trying to get used to the new environment!

That would have to be the most red coloured female I have ever seen.... I had around 50 females from one spawn and there wasn't one anywhere as red as that one.

Yellowish black to a very palish orange are the one's I have seen but it is hard to tell from your pics...

Just managed to get a few more pictures. The colour is definitely off in the last one, (just thought it might be helpful to see the shape of her fins), but her fins really are tinged with orange, and her body is now a nice yellowy-grey in comparison to the male.

debra5.jpgdebra6.jpgdebra7.jpg

Goodness knows what my boy's trying to do then. He's gone quite loopy, but at least he's not chasing her around the tank any more!

'She ' is she at this stage, but some male do develop the 'manhood' later than others, one of mine i thought she is she, the same size n color, as my other females, but i realized that she wont hav any sign of breeding at all wit my male. N constantly fight wit 'her' partner, (normally a couPle only have a go for few hrs or a day) but this one is not, eventually 'she' killed da male, a week after the murder, she became he.....n showed her true color.

No special red lights, just standard ones that came with the tank, I think in the last photo it's just the reddish gravel somehow reflecting on her - or maybe the TV?

Thanks for the comments guys, here's hoping she makes some nice babies and looks after them later on!