Anyone breed flies?? If so, how? :)

emaytiti

I used damp bran and milk powder. Still has potential to get smelly, especially if there are not enough eggs laid as the mix would spoil before being consumed. But was nothing like rotting meat.

Easy to breed, but fine art to perfect.

I think some one should try soldier flies. They seem to be the new rage overseas (chicken and reptile food) and as far as I can tell they have been found in NZ for over 50 years, predominantly up north. May be up to 20 species in NZ, so could prove interesting. Still worth a try.

When I had 8 frogs a few years ago I bred flies in a fly box out in my shed. My friends called me the maggot lady :sml2:

This link has heaps of info. http://www.finchsociety.org/cfa/livefood/flies.htm

I used an old bedside cabinet with a drawer at the top as a box. Cut a hole in the back and covered it with flyscreen.

Turned it upside down and took the drawer out and put in hatch there so I could get into it without opening it right up. I hung a piece of cheese cloth (with a dowl along the bottom) inside the box in front of the hatch so no flies few out when I opened it.

Installed a couple of light batons using redundant old appliance cords. I can't remember what wattage bulbs I used but I think they were pretty low. I used damp bran/milk powder mix , jellymeat or liver for them to lay eggs on ( I guess you could use just about anything) .

Fed them with sugar, water was a jar lid with a sponge on top to stop drowning.

Once I had maggots I took them out of the box and kept them in 1L yogurt pots half filled with oatmeal covered with a piece of cloth held on with a rubber band.

Kept these in a fish bin lined with paper. Checked them daily for pupae- often they would crawl out and pupate(sp) in the dark under the paper.

I ended up with thousands of pupae. I kept the extra in the fridge where they lasted a couple of weeks - any longer and they wouldn't hatch.

Don't forget to put new pupae back into the box as flies don't live long.

A dead fish way away from the house is bound to get you some maggots to start. Or the dead mouse behind the fishtank certainly got some last week :sick:

Had one of thoes flie potholes from animates and put some meat in it while I was waiting for the flies to hatch and when they did I left them In there for a while and they must have laid eggs in it cause a moth later I had tones for flie coming out the pottle had no flies left when all these new ones came